Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Dinner


The dinner was great.
The food served was Malay but I don’t remember much about it or even what was on the menu because we were too busy yacking about how good the food was at school. Believe it or not, STF, unlike other boarding schools (or so I,ve heard) did serve really good food; so much so that almost everyday, as soon as the bell rang at 1.30pm at lunch time, you’d see the girls racing to the dining hall. Literally, scores of girls ran, like their life counted on it; to the dining halls! The skirts of our kurungs lifted above the knees so that we could run fast and get first place in the lunch queue. You betcha, I was one of em..And am proud to say that, we were always earliest!

I was exceptionally excited to meet Noni whom I haven’t seen, in like yonks. I was also actually wondering how she looked like cos my memory has proven to be very poor and I couldn’t really remember her face. Anyway, a few steps into the ballroom, I saw this lady in a white nyonya kebaya and no doubt it was her!! YAAYYYY! So the lowdown is this. Noni remembers me as the budak yang kuat nangis. (Loooong story, but true. I cried in Form one. For 2 weeks. And then stopped. And never cried since! Heheh!) Well, yup. That was me. Guilty as charged. But my memory is also quite selective you see; I could not for the life of me remember Noni counselling me!! Thanks for refreshing my memory Noni. I know now, that you not only were you someone I feared; but you are also someone I owe a lot to! Mucho mucho gracias! Love ya.

I also realized last night that it is possible to not know that you’ve missed someone a lot until you see them right in front of you. Jaja couldn’t make it due to last minute changes in her work schedule. So I called a senior whom I was recently in touch with and asked her whether she would like to come and she agreed. After 15 years of not seeing her, you bet, my nerves were acting up. But as I spotted her in the ballroom, I couldn’t stop myself from running towards her and giving her the best hug I had in me. It was great to see her. And although I hadn’t given any thought to it over the past 15 years, I realized last night that I really did miss her. A lot. Kak Nik, I remember the days when you let me sleep on your lap all the way from JB to Penang for our PPM debates in that uncomfortable, un-airconditioned school bus and never complained. You were always so good to us. And although my brain is half functioning most of the time..I do remember that we had a great time! THANK YOU.
Image hosting by PhotobucketMe and the adik-adiks. Didn't realise that I am THAT short!!

Then there were all those whose faces I could remember but not their names! Especially the juniors who came to say hello. Sharini, Yan and Ryzah and Emma (but I remembered Ryzah and Emma!)..and the rest of the gals from your groups; you know who you are. Oh man! Sorry! I just couldn’t cough up the names! Some have grown so (which should be expected lah kan?) but I wish they didn’t! haha! Cos they should always be my little sisters forever and ever. Oh well.

And if you think the old gals from an all girls boarding school are all prim and proper; well, think again! For most of the night, throughout the speeches and whatnots, we were behaving like “ladies” for a while, but the moment Anuar Zain took stage; almost all of us forgot the significance of the wedding bands we were wearing on our fingers and were screaming our lungs out at him and practically fighting with each other to grab his arm, leg or whatever! It was hilarious! Especially when seeing the “older” super duper seniors acting up like that. But I gotta give it to Anuar Zain lah. He is a real hottie; he knows exactly how to work the crowd and I do remember (with guilt) at some point during the performance that ..I WANTED HIM!!! Gulp. But that was last night lah. Now, back in the normalcy of real life… I know I can’t have him. WHy oh why??
Image hosting by Photobucket
Best buddies. Linda and I.

Well, as for me, most people said I look exactly the same. Should I be happy?? It freaked me out actually! When I look back at the photos of myself at school, I was always this scruffy, sometimes sweaty school girl. Far from being a well bred, elegant, groomed lady. And after all these years, they say I STILL LOOK THE SAME! Noooooo!!!!!

Anyways, despite that, last night, this Srikandi went home feeling deeply satisfied by a most gratifying night of reuniting with old-old fast and firm friends, taking many, many walks down sweet memory lane and also finally rediscovering a major part of where she came from. I felt seventeen once again; and after forgetting how it feels like to be seventeen for the longest time, it was the most refreshing and exhilarating feeling ever and I'm still feeling seventeen today!! I’m glad I went ; and guess what? I’m already thinking of what to wear next year! *winks*

Ps. AE84 – Where were you?
Yan, Sharini, Ryzah if you read this. Email me!
Linda (and hubby) thanks for being there and for being so beyooootiful!
PPS: ..and God bless InaLim; another junior of mine. I forgot to mention her which was really bad of me cos she worked hard at making this event a success together with the rest of the committee. The spirit never dies eh Ina?

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deyne Honey,
The both of you look GLAM and GORGEOUS, you must send me more pictures. I can just imagine how riuh the place was with hundreds or STFians. I am glad to hear that you had a blast and I can't wait to see you guys soon!
Loves
aa@ny

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like you had loads of fun...girls night out memang best..and as usual, you look good..

nef

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi kak,

as i waited my MIL at the lobby, i tunggu jugak, mana la tahu terserempak dengan u, but my vision not as good as usual, so asal ada je orang lalu i asked my SIL, "Kak Anedra ke?"

heheh..i think dia pun penat melayan i. so, takde rezeki nak 'terjumpa', maybe lain kali, bole kan??

if u had a great time with ur frens, i had a great time with my Nurin, dia berjoget sepanjang 4 lagu dari coffee house!

6:29 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

aa@ny: my pics didn't turn out good. banayak gelap!! But I will send em over anyways and see if maween can send a few to you too! missed ya!! 22nd april tak sempat ke?? Managed to get Kartina as well! Maybe she'll join our team!

nef: Fun! Fun! Fun! ..and thanks. I felt really comot tho!

nohachomel: What lah you..You know, your MIL was the first person I salam-ed as I stepped into the hotel lobby. She said, "Saya ingat awak ni. Masa tu saya HEM kan?" hehehe..but she couldn't remember my name I think! Wanted to ask her where you were, but dah kena tarik orang lain! NExt time just shout ..ANEDRA!! sure I jawab punya!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Blabarella said...

Great to see that you had a great time!! And girl, you look like on ehot momma in that fuchsia and black ensemble!! I loike!!! :)

7:21 PM  
Blogger Iskandar Syah Ismail aka DR Bubbles said...

alo alo,

wah wah wah so happy aaa...

7:48 PM  
Blogger rose said...

Dena,
hehehe, we didn't get to meet eventho i passed by your tables a few times. [I ingat coz i can remember i saw Linda from the pix you post here] But i did go to your table dengan Laila [yang dipegang tangan oleh Anuar Zain tu :)] jual stickers and pens *LOL*
Well, glad you had a blast meeting up old frens :D coz i had a great time too *wink*

11:41 PM  
Blogger Nazrah Leopolis said...

eh eh wah, party on baybeh!!!

jambunya u dalam baju merah jambu..
i have not been to any of my high school reunions,mesti menyeramkan sebelum pergi kan?

am glad u had a blast. u deserve more parties la mommie

12:12 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

blabs: It was fun lah..wish we could do this sort of thing everyday! haha! i wanted to get up and dance when AZ sang one of his fast numbers..tapi, nanti nampak macam tak sedar diri pulak! :p

iskandar: SDAR ada bukak table. MCOBA ada rep, siap our emcee from MC! (hehe..it rhymes!) tapi STAROBA takdak! Apa ni??

rose: you were at my table selling stickers?? I must've been away berhijrah kat table orang lain for catching up sessions!! Best kan? Anyways, see u at other dos then! Muahhs.

Nazrah: Ya lah..I need more parties lah. Semalam my boss ada jugak, dok kat VIP table. His wife is an STFian..SO I had no choice but to behave!! Nak naik stage bagi bunga kat anak pak zain pun kena pikir banyak kali!

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dena dear...

It was the best annual dinner so far..
I was there tapi tak sempat nak meround sebab was first ushering the VVIP and then helping out my friends with organising the performance for the nite..
U look marvelous in the pics..
maybe ada rezeki kita jumpa lagi next event huh...treasure hunt??

muahzzz - Ae84..

12:42 AM  
Blogger Hazyr said...

Wahhh..can't believe I'm featured in your blog, I feel so honoured! ;)

Anyway, I have a brighter vision of that photo and will send your way soon. Your email add is somewhere in this blog right? Will search for it..

Yup, I have to agree that you havent changed much. But that is because you were already one elegant, pretty and definitely well-groomed girl back in school! :)

Great to see you again sis!

2:27 AM  
Blogger rose said...

Dena,
insyaAllah we'll meet one day :) Pegi GJC kat STF tak?

3:20 AM  
Blogger Hazyr said...

Oppss.. it was supposed to be version, not 'vision'. Sorry, I was still only half-awake after the weekend.

Anyway, do you by any chance have kak adik's email add? I totally forgot to ask her the other night. Was too excited seeing her again after all these years I guess!

5:16 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

AE84: treasure hunt? so far. yes. unless work gets crazy, then tak boleh lah. see you! muahhzz!


hazyr: you also so feminine now with yr long hair and all!! It was great to see you! Next time must drag kak norzie to come and meet you. anyways, u didn't leave me a contact address/number. when u email me nanti, bagi ya? my email add is denaziz@yahoo.com. I dont have kak adik's contact number either. tapi kalu i dapat nanti I will give you! take care! huggs! hugs! and hugs!

kakrose: I hope to be there, but it's too soon to tell lah. I will update k? take care! muahs!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Iskandar Syah Ismail aka DR Bubbles said...

told you so. staroba people kedekut.biasa kami pegi dinner yang free aje..hahahaha

9:53 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

woman, i heard you pinch anuar's bikini bottom? that poor guy is now tagged for life! Ternoda dalam sinar cahya..

uh, you look absolutely cantik!

10:42 PM  
Blogger rose said...

Dena,
too early to tell whether can go GJC or not? tell me abt it :) i takut nak buat plan tapi last minute tak leh pegi just like what happened during MCKK CCD where me and hubby missed that totally :( But, when i spoke to Pn Saedah yesterday, kena marah berbakul-bakul ngan dia coz she said it'll be a 3-day event so kalau tak leh datang Fri, datang Sat, so on.. Oh well, have to see how it goes later la kan. Take care sis and mwahsss

11:57 PM  
Blogger mommy@lif said...

so sweet la you. ur best buddy now works with national gas company eh? saw her few times

12:07 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

iskandar: ah yes..that must be it. must tell my lil sis to stay away from em then! hehe!


oody: man! I really wanted to; but I refrained!! every time I had naughty thots, my ring finger would be in pain!! sah la dah kena ikat seumur hidup dgn N!! haha!

kakrose: ya lah..too soon to plan. even this dinner was a last minute thing. and I expect the GJC shall be the same! anyways..see u at other occasions ya?

alifsmommy: if the national gas company you are talking about; is the national gas company that she is working in, then yes! ;)

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

waaaah that lady in fuchsia....so de very elegant one

that bit abt wanting Anuar Zain HA HA HA

1:03 PM  
Blogger MA said...

wah seronok sakan you all.

best best...

bagi I yang sekolah kampung ni - reunion kat tepi laut jer lah :-)

4:59 PM  
Blogger Mr Hobo said...

tumpang lalu eh anendra ... Is .... staroba pandai , if we don't go to their's , they don't go to our's ... boleh keluar tanduk.

oh yeah BTW, it's always fun to meet old mates that we've not met for ages, funny thing is .. eventhough we've not met for ages , bila jumpa .. macam tak pernah separated pun eh?

1:58 AM  
Blogger Ely said...

hai cik dena ku yang sungguh cantik dan anggun!

8:51 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

atn: I still want him u know..

makandeh: that wd have been much better..us in t-shirts and such by the beach..with anuar zain of course! ;)

mr hobo: I couldn't agree with u more! Oh..malam staroba semua keluar tanduk eh? Malam STF..ada laki ke takde..tanduk juga ada!!

ely: Oh ELy ku yang sibuk membakar kueh!! Can't wait! can't wait!

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my friend was at the stf thing and her husband went out with us. we were thinking of crashing that stf reunion party thang, but decided against it. after all, i do not want to end up on the cover of harian metro with the title "Sekumpulan Lelaki Mati Dipukul Beribu-ribu Tas Tangan. Dan Kasut". Heheh. Sorry. Kinda sexist. Can't help it...

7:16 PM  
Blogger LifeBloom said...

You girls look so gorgeous - as srikandis should be. Great to hear you had a ball....Cant wait for mine!

7:25 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

anon: sekumpulan lelaki mati dipukul beribu-ribu tas tangan. dan kasut?? haha! that would have been cool and an understatement actually! Add, kerusi dewan, pinggan mangkuk melayang etc etc..actually I dont think they would have noticed the gate crashers..if any..everyone was too deeply involved in conversation and of course Anuar Zain!

lifebloom: waahh! 70s eh??So what are you going to wear! tell! tell!

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anedra,

glad to hear that you had a great time. I was wandering for about 15 minutes, who's the lady sitting next to me during the dinner. Lah! Rupanya Kak Nik ker....Isn't she's so cute.....

aske'

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home