Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Superwoman And the Telephone

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here we go again..

Yes please boss, just keep em coming, just load the damn pile on my desk and yes, I can do everything AND everything and no thank you, I don't need a break. Nor do I need any assistance of any kind whatsoever. Oh by the way, I don't sleep at night, So yes, you can call me anytime. Oh, please, yes please..give me more to do. Because, just as you think, I am Superwoman.

!!!!!!

I am, at wits end with my workload. I have a proposal to send to a client due tomorrow which I am near completing except that I think the proposal is CRAP. I have another proposal due in 20 days for an overseas project, of which I have only been briefed on to-f***ing-day and which requires me to be in Singapore every other week, till that day and as whip cream and cherries on top, they announce that right after that, I have another proposal to work on which is due July 15th. Work with passion, they say. M.Y F.O.O.T!

How lah? How lah? How do I do this???? We are short of people and there's just so much to do! But the fact is, as much as I'd like to help save the company (and the day), I only have two hands, two feet, 1 brain and like others, only 24 hours are granted by the Almighty, to moi in one day. I am at a complete dead-end. I know I have to plan stuff and strategize my work but my brain has gone solo and decided to shut down at mid-day. SO I guess, the only other best thing to do right now is to blog.

I do think though that I am beginning to lose some nerves, and with it, my normal sanity level has disappeared. I have, over lunch, contemplated a job in McDonalds, but N argued that Burger King is better, N Junior thinks I'd do well at the zoo, which is just behind our home, to be specific. He wants me to be the zoo train driver! The only other job that I would like is to be a receptionist, cos talking on the phone is always fun isn't it? But alas, I do think my phone manners are a bit off and I do have a bit of history (and I'm not speaking in terms of "glory") in the field.

Just yesterday, I was negotiating some terms over the telephone with one of our major vessel suppliers. He was, to me rather unreasonable, so after the conversation ended, I spoke my mind aloud saying, "a**hole" referring to him. That would have been ok, if only I had remembered to put down the phone first! I am praying hard that he didn't hear or else I am sure he'd wish for lightening to strike me someday!(remember to count to ten, ANEDRA, everytime after you put down the phone. THEN, curse to high heaven if ya like!)

The day before, I was on the phone with a Japanese counterpart and I was standing as I spoke to him. What's with these Japanese I don't know, it's either they are overly polite, or they think we are deaf that they have to repeat their thank yous over and over again. Yesterday's conversation with this Japanese friend was no different and ended with a million thank yous.

JapanFriend : Thank you Ms ANEDRA
Me: Thank you too.
JapanFriend: Thank you
Me: Ok
Japan Friend: Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Me (at the same time): Ok. You're welcome. No problem. Yes. Fine. Yes. Ok. Yes. sayonara.

And finally, i just slammed the phone down on him, or else it would've never ended! The thing is, all the while through the thank you's I could imagine him bowing at me ala Japanese style. And the thing IS, I was all the time PHYSICALLY and actually bowing down profusely, to my PHONE! I guess I was not imagining it when I saw my colleagues giggling away outside my room!!

Actually, come to think of it, this is nothing new. Many, many years ago while I was still studying, I was called back by the company that sponsored my studies to work during the summer. So, it was normal then for us the kuli-macai to do everything and anything (I suspect, for preparation to become Superheros at the workplace later), as they instructed us to. I found myself one day at the reception table, greeting visitors and answering telephones. The job was pure bliss, I tell you. For not only was I able to answer phones, I could also catch up on my reading which at that time, was romance novels.

One fine day, I was engrossed in one romance novel, the kind that you just can't put down. I was at the very climax of the story, at the point where the male hero was about to pop THE question; when the phone rang. My mind was still on the book and also on auto mode (again), so, I picked up the phone and answered, "Good afternoon, XXX Berhad. WILL YOU MARRY ME?" There was a long pause on the other end. I only realised what I had said, seconds later, but it was too late. The man on the other end cleared his throat, and said "errr..Thank you, but I don't think my wife would be very happy if I accepted".

So, I guess my reputation as a receptionist is not that good. And of course, it has been market talk since that, "She has some "history"! So here I am, doing bl**dy proposals and everything and everything else that no one else can or wants to do. Complain all I want. Choices I have, but it is also by choice that I am here. The fact is, I love this place, I love my work most of the time but not today and it is highly possible that I signed my contract in blood. Thus, with this ship I shall sail and with it I shall sink too!

Oh well, back to work it is then!

Just a thought. If I have to be Superwoman, can I please wear the suit too??
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

24 Comments:

Blogger Kak Teh said...

Hahaha! If you had missed out the "Will you marry me " story, I would have gladly spell it out here loud and clear!!! Now, reading this I just wonder how many of my clients/agents you insulted or proposed to when you were babbsitting my children while we were away?
But remember my story? I phoned up the uncle who looked after my children to ask him to pick up the children from school. He said, "Abang tak ada kereta" at which point I saw the French name "Gigi" on the guestlist where I was making that phone call. Then I said,"Oh, Abang tak ada gigi!" Confrimed - we ARE from the same family tree!

1:47 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

KakTeh: Hey!! You NEVER told me this story!! But like you said, it's CONFIRMED then and carved in GOLD - WE ARE FAMILY indeed!

2:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anedra !

Need any help? Looking for a new job though :-)

aske'

4:45 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

Aske': you don't know what you're asking for! If you r interested in proposals etc, then please send a CV in. I'll give u contact person's name. ok? :)

5:22 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

massylassy: SO I wonder how much business was lost due to that response of yours!

Itulah boss-boss ni. Just because we do a good job (chewah-masuk bakul angkat sendiri kejap); doesn't mean they can load us wiht everything right??

NarfNarf:
About which one? The "A**hole"? He deserved it really..but I still feel bad.

Or was it the marriage proposal? That was the first and last time I ever asked anyone to marry me! Can you imagine if he said something like - "JOM!!". Mampus I kat situ jugak!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anedra,

Proposals....Worked in the investment department before and had to deal with proposals all the time. Anyway, kindly email me personally on the requirements kay.

Tocei

aske'

6:29 PM  
Blogger The Star Gazer said...

Anedra,
hillarious! Can't imagine what u'd say if the guy accepted your proposal!

9:10 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

Aske' : Will do so but prob not today K? But remind me!

Serilangkat: If he had said yes, I'd have packed my bags and moved to England! That's the only other place I can call home and I know that I'd have a job there. (tukang collect ticket wayang and sapu popcorn!I'm a pro at that!). Plus dok rumah KakTeh - FOC.

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anedra,

hehehhe..you remind me of my work with subway sandwiches. Really 'pro' in that....plus an expert in delivering newspaper and phone books. Well,you need to have style and skills to throw them straight in front the door step from the side walks... :-)

Ok dena, i'll do so.

aske'

11:07 PM  
Blogger atiza said...

hahaha...i thought i'm the only one with senget mind...glad to hear that i have senget friends too..

we tend to talk before we could even think..susah nak control benda cenggini, kan?

11:59 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

Aske' : kerja-kerja macam tu jugak yang best!

Atiza : Kalau you jalan-jalan kat KL and see some lady jalan-jalan senget with 2 lil boys, that's me!

3:34 AM  
Blogger atenah said...

phewww......i'm in the same basket le, reminded me of the movie american beauty where the main character went and got a job at a fast food restaurant

9:37 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

atenah: I have even practiced the lines for my job with McDonalds.
"would you like fries with that sir?" "How bout sizing up to a Large Meal?" "..and are you eating here or taking away?"
I think my sons would have a kick out of that!

8:13 PM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

Come here to say thanks for the Bday wish semalam tu. Dah tengok superwoman pulak ni and baca the marriage proposal tu gelak sakan dah.

Neway, keep up the good work OK!!
Letih no jadi superwoman ni no, cari superman take over lah...

9:07 PM  
Blogger t o r t s said...

I guess the bosses know that we love the job (despite the workload etc) which is why you and i and everyone else who are having the workload problem are staying-put with the job. How to flag high to the bosses that they are reaching the limit? How to know if purely noone else cud do the job or are we taken for granted? What best way to draw the line? Anyway - u r GOOD!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Hajar said...

anedra... hillarious...

u sure we don't work at the same place? sbb ppl over here pun dok piling effor and time on proposal.. ekeke.. it's the time of the year kot..

12:36 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

auntyN: Letih jadi superwoman. Sometimes feel like it .. Superwoman pungkok hitam! Perasan je lebih actually! I hope u had a great birthday!

Torts: The best way to draw the line is to just shove the pile back into their rooms, leave the office and don't come back! Of course, u still love the job, so u will come back! sigh..sigh..

LadyJade: Macam musim durian, sekarang musim proposals. I just had ANOTHER one come in! How lah??

1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anedra,

kata nak email aske' the details...jgn lupa aky...anyway, the girls tanya whether 16 or 17 July, your house is still available..

aske'

2:00 AM  
Blogger shidah said...

yeah...blogging is the answer :)

2:37 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

aske': can u pls email me? i've lost yr email add.

shidah: U feeling better? yeah..blogging's the answer!

2:48 AM  
Blogger Blabarella said...

It's not only quirkiness that runs in the family, but eloquence too!! The way you wrote this post truly captured your frenzied but eloquent state!! So cute!!

And don't worry lah - you can handle it!

My brain often shuts down too (NOT at my will) when I'm faced with ungodly amounts of workload, and I know when that happens, there's nothing I can do. So I usually leave the office (or if I can't, I'll while the time away until the clock ticks 5), do menial things at home like watch TV, basuh baju, eat, eat, eat, then sleep with the intention that the next day, I WILL face my demons! And I usually do! .. At least partly lah! :)

Hmm. But sometimes, admittedly, cannot. And that's when I become a m.o.n.s.t.e.r.

3:32 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

blabs: My assistant left recently to continue studying. When we said our goodbyes, she was all teary and said thank you lah, she learnt a lot from me lah and at the very end she said "oh, it was a good experience. you are like a mak tiri!" MAK TIRI??? Monster is better than Mak Tiri anytime, surely, right? sedih i!

I don't know about the eloquence but the frenziness in the family, is there and in a glaring sorta way! what to do..it's in our blood!

4:00 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

OK Anedra,
At last, I have landed on your blog and arrived safely. *love*

5:37 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

susan: I hope it was a smooth flight here! ..and welcome!welcome! :)

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home