Friday, July 22, 2005

Job Thoughts

It was a very busy week in the office indeed. At one point it became too stressful that I had to let off some steam, relax, step back and think of where this “career” of mine is heading. My FAQs on this are normally these:

1. What do I see myself as, in 10 years from now?
2. What do I hope to have achieved in 10 years from now?
3. Would I regret having stayed at my current job for so long, 10 years from now?
4. If I do stay at this job for another, say 10 years, how would I turn out financially?
5. At the end of my life, what would I have wanted to achieve? And would that be achieved if I stay in the “corporate world”, like what I am doing now?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I question myself these, normally at about 5.30pm, when the office is almost empty, when almost everyone has left, and yet..yours truly has to stay and complete unfinished tasks or attend meetings, still. Gazing out of my window, looking out at the beautiful lake beyond and the golf course not too far out, I feel a pang of jealousy when care-free jet-skiers whiz by in sexy swimwear (and loook so goood), that I pray that they “fall!fall! yes! fall!” * evil witch Anedra-me* (and when they do, I jump up and clap!clap!). It gets worse when I see through the binoculars that I have stashed in my drawers, golfers lazily walking on the smooth green beyond the lake, laughing and chatting as though they have nothing else in the world to think about, no deadlines to meet, no company targets to achieve, blah blah *boring stuff * blah blah, like poor old me!

So, I’ve asked myself many a times, what would I do if I were to quit my job? Me, being me, I still would have to work or else I’m sure I’ll end up a Desperate Housewife Malaysian version…but not a job that takes me 12 hours a day away from home..and yet a job which I find equally satisfying (my demented brain thinks that current job is still a “one in a million” kinda job! Gotta go rehab! Perhaps it’s something they put in then coffee they make me everyday!)

At my daily half hour sessions at Ely's Kedai Kopi with my lovely gal pals Ely and OODy, we have discussed these issues. We asked ourselves, what would we do as “alternative jobs”..jobs that require no brains (maybe a wee bit of brains) and not so stressful. After a few minutes of discussion, now I know, I can rely on these girls to turn my life around. Really. This is what we came up with:

Waitress
Kindergarten Teacher but only for singing and play-time classes
McDonald’s Crew
Starbucks Barista (we’re so perasan we think Starbucks will take Old Dames like us)
Security Guard
Dog/Cat Walker

See, these women are geniuses, which is why I love em so much! …and you can see that we are not so ambitious that we don't wanna become millionaires or anything like that although we wanna go shopping every other week and go listen to music and go karaoke and have tea parties. Maybe we really think that money will fall on our laps from nowhere..just enough for us to achieve what we want without distressing our beloved hubbies!! Oh well! Next time I will remember to add the word “sane” to the “no brains” job that we’re looking out for! Plus, it would be good if the job is related to something we are passionate about; and to quote my COO, "work with passion" and I’ll add “for passion” to that!

But seriously, as I do not intend to see myself climbing the corporate ladder like some think I will (Dad, if you’re reading this... Sorry! I’m not going for a CEO/COO position in 10 years despite what you think but thanks for "believing in me" anyway!), I do need to seriously think of what I want to achieve from this life of mine. I do not want to be spending 80% of my waking hours in an office, working for people and in traffic jams for a purpose that is not all too clear with me except for the not-so-fat paycheque I take home every end of each month. I do want fulfill my duty to the human race and society, somehow, because I think I am capable and sane enough to do so…and I would like to die having left something more than money, if any, behind for the people I care for. And like my kedai kopi host says, probably do something that I never thought I’d ever do in my life like, errr…cat/dog walking? Except in my case it’ll probably be walking around with old people instead of animals as I am a natural “penggeli haiwan”!

So, it is weekend already, and I am still entertaining thoughts of a job different from what I am doing now. My management must have read my mind from the frowns persistently on my face and have cushioned the distress with some rasuah in the form of my bonus! Yippppeeee! But still, like I said, seriously, I’ve got to figure life out and what I want to have achieved from it.

So tell me o wise blog friends. Any ideas on a sane job that doesn’t require so much brains?? Ok lah.. I don’t mind using my brains once in a while! Something that pays enough for a twice monthly shopping spree (and we’re not even talking boutique shopping but if can, better lah!), teh tarik sessions, once in a while live music sessions with my pals OODy and Ely and anybody else that wants to come!

Tell me lah, ok?

Ps. Ian Wright – if you’re reading this, please resign from your job at Globe Trekker on Discovery Travel and Adventure. Actually, it’s YOUR job I want!…and, errrr…call me!

31 Comments:

Blogger anedra said...

narfy : pro-diver sounds good. esp the part when u get to bum around when no work and during monsoon.plus can have bonfires on beach everyday! i like.
piano teacher no skill (whhhyyy lah didn't I take lessons??) I shall refrain from any food venture of any kind while on diet, so nasi lemak a no-no.. If I dah kurus, that sounds good too!
eh..when r u coming back huh??

12:07 AM  
Blogger Idlan said...

Kak Dena, I would say.. be a postman. In England. That's what I wanna be. Work from 6am-12pm; rest of day freeeeeeeeeee

1:05 AM  
Blogger Blabarella said...

Hahaha!! Same lah, Anedra!! People always think that I wanted to be some corporate high-flyer, but if truth be known, I couldn't care tiddly-squat, which was why so many people were shocked at the route I have chosen (well, I gotta admit that I'm shocked too, insofar as $$$ goes, hehehe!).

I too, strive to look for a job where I have lots and lots of time for my family, my faith, society & animals (I'm the complete opposite of you, a real peminat haiwan!!) but at the same time, don't want to make by brain go bust either!

My choices would be thus:-
1- Waitress (but must be hip-ish restaurant - no kedai mamak, kay!)
2- Stewardess (like the fact that I can fly all over the world, am not working every day of the week, and make enough $$$ to entertain my shopping fetishes!)
3- Book shop assistant (I'll be hidden of course, within the aisles of the store myself, sampai customer nak tanya question pun tak leh jumpa I!)
4-Work at SPCA / any animal welfare home / animal hospital
5-Jual nasi lemak somewhere overseas!!
4-

5:40 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

Idlan! Hey there!!
I like the postman idea! In England ok lah, not too panas to go and do rounds. ANd another job that crossed my mind is newspaper boy/girl, like in the States, they go and baling yr newspaper at people's doorstep! Ok jugak tu!! Ni nak kena move countries nih!

6:33 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

Blabs:
1. I've always wanted to be a waitress at HRC, or TGIF or something like that! hehehe!! But now already old..cannot lah, but one can always dream kan?
2. Stewardess sounds fun..but me so buncit and pendek, wouldn't past the test!
3. I'm thinking of Tumbletots of Gymbobs..since I'm sure I'm overly qualified already. I know ALL the BArney/Sesame Street songs..the kids will love me..and it'll be dance, sing and play all day! Good way for staying young doncha think?

Oh..and Happy Shopping at Bicester, go cari those Ferragamos! Sekali sekala go crazy shopping no harm eh??? Go Bally Factory Outlet at Norwich..can go crazee osso!! HAve fun you! Jealous..Jealous!

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(i) if you're an avid pc/video gamer, be a game tester..

(ii) what about wedding planner? pembuat bunga telur?

(iii) host jalan jalan cari makan (provided that the current host resigned or decides to be on diet)

8:09 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

Anedra,
let's go audition for AF4!

They are not looking for real talents (although we are!). And we dont have to be pretty too (although we are!). And we dont have to be brainy either (although we are!).

We can mobilise the whole of the cyber community to vote for us (we are nice whaaaat..., must visit and leave comments on more blogspots from now on ~ marketing).

But first must label ourself. Do we wanna be cabaret-sexy, or silat & Quran champions, or rock steady or miss cry-a-lot, or short-and-sweet or what..

can win house, car, money, trip to london etc! Goyang kaki!!

But pre-first, must modify our croaks a bit so we sound decent.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Iskandar Syah Ismail aka DR Bubbles said...

anedra,

I asked that hard questions when I was 24 yrs old (sebab tak nak tanya when i am in 40s). Luckily I got hold of "What colour is your parachutes?" by Richard Bolles. It helps me to define what i am doin now. kalau nak baca - let me know.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Iskandar Syah Ismail aka DR Bubbles said...

my alternative job (if i am not a clown lah): book seller at Wigtown, Scotland (book town) or farmer back in Jerantut or travel writer...hehhehehe

9:25 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

atiza: I am totally hancur at video games..my 4 yr old beats me all the time, it's embarassing! wedding planner is a nice one..something I'm considering, maybe do a JV with my mommy since I have no bakat for bunga telor!! But it's such a "pretty" job isn't it..and it's a happy one too!

OOD sayang oi! sorry to break the news to you dear..but we're waaaaay over the age limit! I like the idea tho...maybe we do a country style/rock thing! Lemme just tell u tho..I can't dance for my life..not anymore!! Menuju Puncak will prob break my back We go enroll at Linda Jasmine firstlah..and go for few rounds for karaoke ok dak??

Iskandar : waaah..so wise at so young an age! will look up that book definitely..is that why u'r doin what u'r doin now?? COs that's a one in a million job, and for such noble cause too!! I've got heaps of admiration for u ya know!

Wigtown? Is that a real place in Scotland? If it is..I'm moving there! :)

10:19 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

eh, I hear Mrs B still looking for you!

10:22 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

Anedra!
why lah you must announce to the whole world that we are above 25!!! Haiya... spoil my acting contract only! Just when Yusof Pelam thot i have Pesona Bintang (although i cant dance to save my life!). And just when i was about to offer you kerja jadi my manager!

What la..

10:48 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

KakTeh: Mrs B=Slavedriver tu??? Chakap sama dia, when Anedra comes to town, it'll be to BUY her shoes..never to work for her!! Oh so tidakkk!

OODy: Eh i thought the age limit is 21 years! that's whylah we tak qualify!!!who spolied whose contract now? Kalau gitu..jom lah!! We go..but wait! Must practice first!!

I nak jugak yr manager's job!!! Nak! Nak! Nak!

psssstt..hang cakap kat Yusof Pelam umoq hang beghapa??

11:39 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

kak anedra,
typo erow, i wantek to btype 21 ytrs .. keybort hartini asek silap je.

Oh Mr Yusof pelam didnt ask my age so i didnt have to lie. He took one look at me and assumed i was 8. Will probably play as vince's daughter in his upcoming movie. kak anedra nak tiket perdana? Be nice to me.

Adikmu, ood

2:21 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

adik OOD oii..akak ni kalau dah nak bagi tiket free tu, tak de lah akak nak menolak dek ooii. haa..kalau adik suroh bawakkan botol susu dengan pampers adek pon akak sanggup..cakap je dek, cakap je!

Dekapai- tak tahu ke keturunan si kak cik ni penggeli haiwan!! kerja kat zoo tu memang lah out sekali! kalau jual aiskrim tu ok lah!

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i did the tak satisfy with my job routing a few years back. now i am looking forward to a new career. Oh Ananda (he he) this time I am not going to succumb to blog abt this comment (cam the house/garden entry), oh no no no....tho you tempt me, you temptress you :)

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooops that was me....atenah

1:15 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

tenah: I knew it was you even without reading yr second comment. Nobody else calls me ANANDA like u do. tak pe..tenah, tak pe.. you know what they say "ada lori ada bas....".

me temptress?? noooo lah how can?? *blog about it*blog about it* bloooog*bloooog tenah* bloooog!* heheh!!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Vittorio D'Amore said...

The idea of this blog is to build a "inspiration flux box" able to contain texts, ideas, stories, topics, speechs and images about everything.

Then these materials will inspire the work of our musical collective.

Send your ideas to:
damoreman@katamail.com

send us your e-mail we will send u our songs...

Comment this project on:
http://mpnet.blogspot.com

Please, inspire our music!!
Thanks a lot!!!

2:41 AM  
Blogger I Feel Good said...

Heh Anedra..maybe you might want to put the Kinder Teacher out of the list..no more singing and playing for the sake of just that....;)if only....

tough tough*

Jobs I once hold:
Mac crew
borders bookshop crew
campus cafetaria crew
receptionist
data entry
project coord.
conference mgr
book seller
telemarketeer
tuition teacher
shipping clerk

Hats I hold as a teacher:
librarian
immigration officer (sars period)
printer
stage manager
counselor
nanny
baby-sitter
copy-writer
promoter
researcher
and the list will go on I have no idea what...

what i want to do now:
Open up a newstand selling papers....or own a grocery shop..sigh*

6:53 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

nour: bestnya sejarah career anda! i think i like immigration officer too. can stamp-stamp, chop-chop passport and frown at people all day. I love the idea of newstand agent/grocery shop owner, need assistant? you know how to get in touch with me!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if i 2 quit my job...i nak buat tuition kat umah....ajar maths ke (add or mod), b.m , or anything that is simple to teach..coz' my sister went 4 this add tuition in subang jaya...he quit his job as engineer kat petronas and buat tuition kat umah...his monthly income without tax nearly...4-5k...itu baru add maths saje...belum yg lain...
So...think about it..

R

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:D Aiseh Anedra, kalau betul immigration stamp stamp chop chop takpe...nih kena scrutinise the kids' passport after the long break just to make sure they don't go to any of the SARS infected countries...habis mata I jadi kuyu sekejap..:D

Eh really la grocery shop macam releks gitu..,kan order barang.. tunggu orang beli hmmm

Other alternative...have an e-commerce biz. Maybe I'll do that when I'm a housewife...

ok can can will get in touch with you when I need assistant, hey but I believe you'll make a great boss, yourself, hun!

10:45 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

R: Tuition teacher biz is actually good, in demand, and brings in pretty big bucks plus can work from home!! And not that stressful..Only thing is..what can I teach huh???

Nour: yes loh..if SARS period, take MC lah. But grocer I like..I'll have a colourful fresh-produce store with colourful fruit stands up front, lotsa cookies and yum-yum stuff and probably have a gourmet section etc. jom?

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can, can! We'll sell all organic stuff at reasonable price. Can't believe how expensive organic food are at the sup-mart!And lots of colours in our store, huh?

A little small quiant bookstore pun best kan? Like the one in 'You've Got Mail'...not sure if that's going to bring good bucks but who cares!
Ok dream on..;)

p.s. Gee, Anedra this post of yours makes an excellent brainstorm session! Excellent move!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Ely said...

hehehe mammal, sampai terbawak2 u kat blog nih!

i have a new idea for another job, a manicurist!

4:45 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

nour: and we can sell freshy baked bread and pastries, and hand-made swiss/italian/belgian chocs. when people go in, the first thing they'll notice is the wonderful smell of chocs and pastries. Bookstore exactly like the one i U;ve Got Mail is so lovely. Yeah, who cares if it doesn't bbring in big bucks. We could have theme days..and on some days do storytelling, have little short drama classes based on scenes in books etc.

sigh.. best nya daydreaming!

ElY: Manicurist I like. WOuldn't mind working in spa also..do aromatherapy massages and baths. Bila takde customer..buat spa for diri sendiri lah kan? STress buster you!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Ely said...

mammal, lets open kedai bunga! and sell helium balloons too!

7:36 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

ely: yes..plus the kedai bunga must have kedai kopi@cafe attached. So it's like a cafe in a garden but at same time we sell flowers and helium balloons. U can also sell epok-epoks..me I buat kopi. Kalau OOD nak join this JV of ours..she can jaga cashier or siram bunga? Kalau takdak cafe, where we want to sembang?
lurrrve this idea gurl!

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good Anedra..sounds really great! ah have to stop dreamin, my obs is tomorrow!

ciao!

8:57 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

sedihnya..but yes, we've gotta snap back to reality aye?

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home