Friday, June 17, 2005

Mother of Mine

Mama sounded really tired when she called me this evening. She and Dad had just arrived home from their week-long holiday at an island off the East Coast. They really have fun those two. Eversince Dad retired last year, they have been globe trotting everywhere. How nice eh?

Well, Mama being Mama, although she's on a holiday, she calls us all the time and it's as though she never left for the vacation! For instance, before she left for this trip, she called me to say, "Mama nak pergi dah ni.. We are about to leave the house"..with seribu pesanan. "Don't forget this, don't forget that.."

Then when she gets to their first stop, she'll call again. "Mama dah ada kat xxx ni. How are the boys?". I'd answer her questions, although in my mind I'd be saying "Oh, Mom!You only left ONE HOUR ago! Nothing could have possibly changed since!"

But she's like that. Can't leave the house for a holiday, one minute after stepping out of the house, she will rindu everybody already. My sons, me, my siblings, my aunts, my Tok, her plants etc..etc..

While she was on this holiday, like ALL her other holidays, she "sms"ed me ALL THE TIME to give me an update of what she and dad have been up to.

SMS FROM MOM15/6/2005 4.39pm :
Jogged dis morning - 3km. Now HIS caddy, BERJALAN! I'm soaking wet! Tak payah mandi laut!"

SMS FROM MOM 15/6/2005 7.09PM :
How are the boys? (referring to my sons)

SMS FROM MOM 16/6/2005 12.04PM:
After yesterday's marathon, hari ni jangankan nak jogging. Nak jalan ke toilet pun seksa!

SMS FROM MOM 16/6/2005 12.07 PM : (Note: just 3 minutes after the first on that day)
Holiday with your abah is no rest you know! Now dia ajak mandi laut! ADOIII!

Hehehe! I can just imagine those two going dipping in the sea..joints and muscles all aching! But they're so romantic, in a funny way I think!

And those sms are in addition to all the phone calls I get many times a day describing what they had to eat, telling me what dad had talked about that day, telling me what dad was craving to eat that day, etc, etc, etc! No matter where she is in this world..she will always update us every few seconds. That's Mama. (I think she may have wanted to become a reporter when she was younger! aye?)

She expects me and my siblings to do the same too. When I was not married, after work, she'd call just to make sure I was ok every now and then. (Actually, I suspect she wanted to see what I was up to!) Now, she has me as her back up. I suppose she wants to be "COOL MOM" now..so she gets me to do all the dirty work. "ANEDRA, call your brother, check what time he's coming home?" Mind you..my brother is already 29. And for my sis "Telephone xxxx, where is she now? Ask her which friend she is with?"

Sigh..Mama..mama..

I suppose, she's just like any other mother, always protecting her children. Always making sure we are ok. But of course now, in this day and age..must COOL a bit lah. Hence, ANEDRA is pulled into the business!

Please don't get me wrong. I write this with all the love for my Mama. She's got the biggest heart in this world always full of love for everybody she knows. And for us, her children, there's just nothing that she would not do for us. In short, she's DA BEST!!

I am a bit worried though that her reporter-like traits are slowly trickling down to me. For, every now and then, without Mama asking me to, I'd be doing spot checks on my brother and sister, not that they've been up to anything funny! And, they have noticed it too! They always say, "you're beginning to act like mama. always asking where we are..what time we will be back..what we are doing..who we are with etc.etc.." Oh, how they moan those two!!

Is it supposed to be this way?? It's scary isn't it?

I feel like a MakCik now (no offense Mom! errr..and the other Mak Ciks out there!).

But Mama's cool apa.. and I know I'm doing this for a REALLY good reason.

And to quote Mama, "I'm only doing this because I LOVE YOU"

Oh Mom....!!

17 Comments:

Blogger Ely said...

oooh, this a very very sweet posting. makes me think so much of my mom *sob sob* how i miss her so!

ur mom is like my dad. when we lived in singapore, he would call us saying that he was going here and there and asked abt the kids and all. now that we're here, he still calls every other day.

thats my dad!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

hey, how come i awso feel i am reading abt myself? But remember when you got your first job at whiteleys? how many times we went there, uncle sitting on the bcnh spying behind his newspaper? and how many times we went to the movies there just to check on you!hahaha! i still do that!

12:16 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

ely : what would we ever do without our parents huh?

kakteh: How could I forget? There I was pretending to be Filipino..and you and Batman Taufiq come shouting "Hey thats Kak Dena!"..Alamak..blow my cover lah you all!

But it was fun wasn't it??

Wait a minute!!! I never knew Uncle TEH was there spying on me! Teruk..teruk..!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Blabarella said...

My mom and her ENTIRE family are like that too!! Everyone ends up spying on each other, and in the end, the little tykes grow up into adults and repeat the same thing, all over again!!

But *smug expression* .. I DO think I was always a few steps ahead of everyone in my family, so most times, I never got caught out!! Everyone thinks I'm an angel - hahahaha!!

I keep telling myself, though - that I don't wanna be like my mom and her siblings when I have a kid, but I know it's easier said than done, because at the end of the day, it all stems from love kan .. and surely the end justifies the means? :p

2:19 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi Anedra,
Just thinking of you and wishing you a good weekend. *love*

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, i am sure i am going to end up just like my mom, am not sure whether its a blessing or otherwise :)

12:21 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

blabs: it's a cycle..and these things get passed down one way or another! I wonder if I'll end up BLUR like one of my makcik's!

Susan: My weekend has been peaceful and restful so far. Off to the ZOO (again!) in a minute!

Atenah: Look at it this way, if we think our mother's are great..then turning out like that shouldn't be THAT bad huh??

7:17 PM  
Blogger munirah hayati said...

kak D! it's father's day - wanna read your tribute for the man in your life pulak :)

btw i remember your debating days masa kat sekolah dulu, but didn't know you write just as good juga ;)

p/s: gonna tell alma you have a blog. will meet her this august in our 10th year (out of the school) reunion

6:38 AM  
Blogger I Feel Good said...

Thank you for your well wishes. Alhamdulillah I just got back on Sat morning. Kak Teh just informed me of the post she put up regarding my departure. Thank you again and salam kenal,

nour

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah i guess our mommy loves us.. i'm so happy when i read this that i'm actually crying right now.. she calls you alot huh.. goood

12:47 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

anedra - tukark topic sikit. yr banner is ready. I suggest you tukar template -s ebab tak sesuai..go to lollies on my link to see what you can do. nice.

3:30 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

nyonya LM: You know, I am never abreast on all these dates! I had written this on Friday, only to find out that Father's Day was on SUnday! Haha! Tak relevant langsung ya?? OK, my dad's one is coming soon!

Oi..no need to tell Alma lah! Malu! But please get her to get in touch with me? Lama tak dengar cerita dia!

narfnarf: actually, my mom just figured out text messaging last year. In fact, she's one of the last people I know to own a handphone!

5:25 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

nour, I hope you had a good trip! I wonder when my turn will come! Anyways, yes - salam perkenalan! Hope to see you more! ;)

anonymous: Since I have only one bro and 1 sister.. I guess you're either A or D. Yes, Mama loves both of you very, very much. Just step back for a minute everyday and think of all the things she has done for you. We could never "balas" balik, even if we wanted to.

Me love you too!

kakteh: Yes aaaah??? YAAAAYYYYY!! I will go check ok??

5:34 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

hey anon - either A or D - I love you tooo lah - so dont worry! even if i dont call - you are all in my mind, worrying abt where you are and what you do.

10:28 PM  
Blogger I Feel Good said...

Insyaallah May Allah invite you and your family soon!

4:34 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

kakteh: cubit sikit dia tu! she/he misses that too!

nour: Insya-Allah!! I visited your blog..So impressed with all the colours! tried to pin myself on the map. Donno whether jadi or not?

5:09 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

To the zoo? Bagus sekali, Anedra.
*love*

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home