Monday, June 13, 2005

Mak Cik Mind Reader

There's this makcik I know; one that I have a special relationship with. You see, she reads my mind.

I'll tell you why.

Last night, I was having trouble going to sleep, thanks to that evil-evil cup of coffee that I foolishly made for myself before going to bed.

Sidetrack: I had fasted during the day, and I am one who cannot go through a day without my mug of nescafe. Well, sometime around 12 midnight, I remembered that I hadn't had my coffee. God forbid that I sleep without having that mug of coffee - pantang! So down to the kichen I went to bancuh my 3 in 1 Nescafe and gulped it before bed and thus, there went my sleep!

SO, back to that makcik.

As I was tossing and turning around, trying everything from counting sheep, to kicking N (to stop his snoring!), my thoughts drifted on stuff like the G.I Jane diet I have enrolled so bravely on, the holiday that I am dying to have, my expiring driver's license, my early retirement plan and what I should blog about this week. Then the phone rang at 1am with deliriously happy news that my baby cousin Wani, managed to secure a scholarship with MARA to become the first doctor in the family! And that MakSu (her mama and the makcik's younger sister) was all teary eyed with the good news! YAYYYYY!! Wani a doctor! That's my health plan secured!

Oh..ok, back to that MakCik.

I remember when I was about eight or nine years old, news of this makcik coming back was always such a big thing. My brother and I would have a countdown to the day that she'd arrive. There was once, she came back for a holiday, we were in the car and driving to Subang Airport to pick her up. We got there and waited but she never came out. We soon found out that we had gotten her flight details wrong and that she had flew in with an earlier flight and was already at her in-laws place in Gombak.

I was downright disappointed when my Dad told us that we'd just have to see the MakCik some other time and not that day. I sighed and sighed big elaborate dramatic sighs, till my Dad asked "What's the matter Anedra? Do you really have to see this MAkCik today??". I didn't answer, but went on sighing. Mom and Dad must have gotten real sick of my melo-drama that they decided to turn around and drive to Gombak instead. I was elated! And there she was with her luggage smelling of Londra full of goodies and always with an abundance of hugs and kisses and....pinches! Ouchhh!

There was this bond I felt, with this MakCik, which for me, was always special. And I suspect it is mysteriously connected with her doing my diaper changes when I was a baby. (Actually, she couldn't resist, I had a pretty cute bum, back then). And it is a bond I still feel today, at the ripe old age of thirty. Her return to us, every now and then is still much awaited, not only by us, her older nephews and nieces but even by the younger ones including her GRAND-NEPHEWS and GRAND NIECES. We are guaranteed days filled with laughter when she comes back, always entertained with her antiques, and oh, she even does a very sexy rendition of "I Will ALways Love You", which even causes my N to blush when he sees her at it!

This Makcik comes from the magnificent line of the wonderful aunts and uncles that I have. I will have to blog one day about my Mak Su and Pak Su, my Mak Tam and Pak Tam, my Pak Aji and Kak Nisa(who is actually an aunt, but more like a sister, hence the "KaK"), and my Pak Lang. Of course not to forget the Minang side of the family. My aunts and uncles have NEVER failed me and have been with me through thick and thin (not that I've been through SO much, though!). Even when I am now a mother of two, they are still there standing strong, supporting me (with emergency recipes for last minute guests, baju kenduri for pinjam etc etc) and the rest of the family through. I have always wanted to write about them,but with the diabolical writing skills I have, I feel I'd do them too much injustice.

So, why I say this makcik reads my mind?

Well, I couldn't think of any juicy love plots to blog about and suddenly, out of the blue, Pak Lang came to mind. He had left to work at some faraway exotic place recently, and I didn't call him to say goodbye the night he went, despite mama's persistent reminders. Last night, somehow, I thought of him, just before I dozed off to sleep. I saw him in Mama's kitchen, working away happily as he used too. I thought, "I'll tell a story about Pak Lang", my lonely Pak Lang in that far off place.

At 5 am in the morning, I got up to do some work. Naturally, I went bloghopping first, and lo and behold!! As though she knew I was thinking of it just hours before, the MakCik got to it, first. What a Mak Cik! I didn't know it was his birthday though. So here goes - Happy Birthday, Pak Lang! You're out of sight, but definitely not out of mind!

And as for that MakCik, if you don't know already, she's the one with the chocolates everybody loves.

She can definitely read my mind.

And, lucky me, she writes it better!

26 Comments:

Blogger Kak Teh said...

hmmmmm, i'll be making regular checks in case u spill anything else.

3:38 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

hmmmmmmmmmmmm..what did I leave out huh?

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo yes, i love this mak cik too. i wonder whats the way to get her to be mine too? bribery? ayam putih? anedra, share laaaah

come to think of it, all our blogging gang want her as their mak cik too

3:32 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

narfnarf: or...the part where she laughs so much until she.....(this is funny, but if I complete the sentence, she will disown me, she definitely will!!)

massylassy: yup, we're somehow in one website or another. We had this thing on MyFamily.Com called Da London COnnection, Makcik ni jugak yang set up! It was fun.. But I lost my password, so haven't been there for a while!

atenah: don't knowlah how. I ni dapat pun, by default! Nak tak nak, dia kena accept me as her niece and vice versa!!

Although, not by blood..but you and some others are already family to her! That much I know. Kira okay lah tu!!

SO kiranya, by default jugak..MY family too. Like it or not! hehehe!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Nazrah Leopolis said...

i am tearing up.i know this isn't a sad forlorn entry but this is so touching. your makcik is especially dear to me.

*sniff sniff*

6:14 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

ok ok - enough enough and move on! next entry pls!!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Ely said...

yeah this makcik is also like my own makcik. she so full sincerity, grace and always cares abt others. I love this makcik too.

7:07 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

nazrah: awwww, u are so like her actually. I guess that's why you get along so well! Tapi dia minus the Jiffs, JeyPine etc lah!

kakteh: want some tissue?

ely: she's somethin' else isn't she?

7:11 PM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

Dah tau dah ni mesti pasai mak cik chocolate tu, hehehe. Walau hanya kenal kat cyber world, tapi memang makcik ni special can. Kalau boleh AFUNDI macam AF mesti dia menang punya ni, kan, kan, kan.
Tumpang lalu anedra. Tenah nak ayam sekor ke? I ada se reban with compliment from Maknenek tu hehehe.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Ruby M. said...

i really envy you for having such a wonderful and loving family :) its really nice hearing about each and everyone of you, from your makcik, to kak cik, to awang goneng. its such a pack! allah bless :)

12:38 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

AuntyN: I always tell her that now with all this blogging, she's gone "international". Ya lah..so many people from all over the world know her and love her already!

Maknenek: What a pack huh? A pretty chaotic pack too! ;p

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anedra,

such a loving, cheerful and wonderful family you have


aske'

p/s awalnyer bangun pagi buat office work....

2:04 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

aske'.. bangun awal tu, sebab kerja tak siap. The day before tak buat kerja dengan "bersungguh-sungguh", sebab tu lah kena bangun awai!

4:26 AM  
Blogger shidah said...

ha ni yang saya cakap kat "Kak Cik" punya blog, suku sakat kak teh menyakat....tak lama lagi i'll know the whole sahsiah keluarga kak teh! u are definitely one fun bunch!

7:44 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

shidah, there are many many others that have been silently lingering around. They'll pop out someday! They won't be able to stay silent for too long! Fun? Fun indeed!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Blabarella said...

Poor Anedra .. looks like you're just going to have to SHARE this Makcik with everyone else too, because it's clear to see - she's like a big sister for the rest of us too!!

*HUGS to BOTH aunt and niece*

6:22 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

Alah Blabs, it's not a problem at all! In fact, we are used to it. When this MakCik comes back for holidays pun, we have to share her with scores of others. There's always a queue of people waiting to see her. Kena buat schedule you! Kalah VIP!

Dasyat Aunty I ni!

Hugs back!!

6:39 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

makcik chocolate, if you are reading this, dont be fooled. this person calling herself anedra is pretend only. she steals my identity! (you know how it is, in cyberspace, people all pretend to be the famous) I am the real the famous Anedra. I am the anak sedara that you are awfully fond of.

i am her, she's not me!! You are my makcik.

(desperate attempt to steal makciks)

10:15 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

Dear OOD,
This is MakCik's Family Administrator (tumpang-ing Anedra's Blog).
We note your concern and pleas. To test the genuinity of your claim..Here's a standard test to see whether you are really ANEDRA and as such, MAkCIk's niece.

1. What is the name of the MAMAK whose shop is next to MakCik's house in Alor Setar?
2. Who is Tok Su Pa?
3. Who is Mak Jam?
4. WHo is Pak Teh Eh (as in ismaIL)
5. WHat is Mee Abu?
6. What is Mee Mat Bom
7. What does makcik call all her children?
8. What is MakCik's house stacked up with? (Hint: AG has been collecting them since the 1970's)

As for your claim against the current ANEDRA, we shall "CSI" accordingly.

-THE FAMILY OF MAKCIK-

11:25 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

(Waving fist and grumble grumble)

11:50 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

hheheh- u all ni funny lah...I can spread myself out.The midrift part - no problem - very spreadable.....
OOD, ya, sometimes I wonder abt anedra as well. betul ke anak sedara I ni. To check, i need to see places others have not seen before. I used to change her nappies , remember. to check you out, i need to have a closer look too.
can both of you Jpeg or hello?

12:49 AM  
Blogger Ruby M. said...

ooops tumpang lalu..anedra, ur on my list now :) how can i help? please email at maknenek@gmail.com with ur favourite pic/idea/theme for ur new banner makeover!

7:30 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

OOD : eat your heart out! heheh! more questions on your blog. It's your final chance. The REAL ANEDRA knows the answers to everything about OTEH.

KakTeh: What?? Nak tengok lagi??? Now got cellulite you know!

MakNenek: Have I ever told you that I LOVE YOU?? Well, i do! I will email you soon ok? Thanks!!

8:47 AM  
Blogger OOD said...

makcik choc,
as much as i love you, i really cannot put up pictures of my bum. The Playboy has rights over it. I dont want to breach contract.

Fake Anedra,
i am forgetful remember, how to answer?

6:45 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

OOD: you really make me laugh..this time sampai sakit perut!

ok lah! ok lah! we share ok??

6:50 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

so OOODD , was that yours in the centrespread of Playboy!!! Gosh, it filled two pages and spilling into the next!

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home