Sunday, June 19, 2005

A message for Dad

Our family has never celebrated Father's Day. And being the scatterbrain that I am, I even failed to notice that it was Father's Day last weekend. Someone pointed out through my last posting that it was Father's Day and I should write about the man in my life! Well then, I guess it's worth a shot.

So, here goes.

Dear Dad,

It's not that I do not want to write about you. But I am ashamed of my miserable way of writing. My words are SO NOT what a Professor of English would expect of his child! Plus, I have seen what other blog-people have written about their fathers. Such beautiful words have been said by the rest, to share their fathers with the rest of the blog world. I was afraid, I'd fail to describe how great a dad you have been, and thus, not bestow upon you the honour that you deserve for being such a superdeeduper dad, to me and my brother and my baby sister! There's also that ex-student of yours, who must have been an A-Star student, she writes so, so impeccably well! She puts me to shame, for I know, if she were put to task to write about you, she'd outshine me anyday! It did cross my mind that maybe I should outsource this posting to her. How leh??

Dad,
I don't remember much of my childhood. When I try to think about it, everything comes back fuzzilike in a blurry way (I inherited these genes from that MakCik Blur,you see), but whenever I go home and look at our family albums..I see that I was always smiling and forever laughing..So, I can only conclude that I was a very happy child and that I had a very merry childhood. Thanks to YOU and mama.

I also remember when I was offered a place at a boarding school down south. I couldn't contain my excitement! But, I could feel that you were hesitant to let me go, to be away from the family for the first time. I was persistent though..I still am quite stubborn huh? After much debate about it, you supported my decision in the end, and there we went taking that eight-hour drive down south. Mama told me later that you shed some tears on the way back..heheh! I didn't know you'd miss me that much! I missed you too..but, it turned out well in the end didn't it? I loved school Dad, it was fun. Thanks for letting me go.

I left you again when I was 19. This time, really far! Too far for you or mom to come rescue me, just in case I needed the occasional hugs from you. It wasn't too bad though, you were always just a phone call away. Plus..mama had that MakCik Blur on standby and she was really efficient too! And if I may indulge myself in some perasan a bit, you must have been proud to see your daughter follow your footsteps to go study all the way in the Land of the Queen. Aye?? It wasn't easy, I know, to let me go..but thanks dad, for letting me fly away, again.

Fast forward a few years later.

I know when I introduced N to you, you were quite-quite shocked. Yes..yes..he's bald and all, I know..But he's ok whaaaaat? Like Vin Diesel whaat.. Kan? Mama told you he looks like Dodi AlFayed... After that you were ok, a bit lah. I guess you weren't so impressed when he snored away throughout that theatre thing we went to watch together, huh? My fault, really. I should've known that theatre ain't N's forte!

I remember you summoning me to be your buggy driver while you went for a round of golf ,the evening N's family was to see us for dinner. I knew then, I was in for THE questioning of my life! You asked, "How sure are you of N??". I said, "I am sure of him" and murmured a weak, "we will be ok". After a few words of advise, and without the "killer" interrogation I was expecting, you gave me your blessing. As always, you trusted me with my decision, and did not continue fussing him with funny questions later that night, over dinner. Phew! Thanks Dad! And thanks to the blessings and prayers that you and mama have given us, I am very much a happily married woman today.

Now, I am a mother of two. I remember on my last birthday, when I turned 30, you gave me a hug and said " Is my little daughter really THIRTY??" (YES, Y'ALL. I AM THIRTY! ALREADY!). I may be older, Dad, but I enjoy these days most, when we can talk as adults and relate with each other on almost anything. I love the way my sons run and jump with joy whenever their Atok and MakTok come visit and see your eyes light up when you return their hugs! It fills my heart with a quiet sense of happiness that I can't describe with words! The boys are my presents to you and Mom. I guess, they're the best I can do for now as a "thank you gift" to you!

So, I hope Dad, it's not too late for me to wish you Happy Father's Day! Thirty years is a long time to wait for this! But then again, it's thirty years worth of celebration!

So, what do you say? Dinner on me? Again??
*wink-wink*

Love,
Your daughter ANEDRA

20 Comments:

Blogger AuntyN said...

A nice tribute for your dad, anedra. Sounds like you are close to him.
What ? I beat the Makcik Blur for komen here? Not bad, she must be so busy putting up people's banner ni.
Did she forget yours? *ni jadi batu api ni* hehehe

12:58 AM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

*makcik blur terhegeh-hegeh limping to anedra's blog just to find auntyN had beaten her to it!* ha, penatlah pasang memasang banner ni! and i cant even comment yet cos my eyes are a bit misty! donno why!
anedra, he may not be man of many words - BUT u know that it is all there!!
N snored at the theater?? huish! and from what i heard, your mum's stilletoes gave way too during that first meeting. what a nightmare!

1:13 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

AuntyN: Wow! That was fast..it was still hot from the oven when you commented!!
Sob!sob!! That MakCik Blur is so busy these days...

KakTeh: Aunty N now faster than a speeding bullet you know! You've got competition!

That theater thing was a disaster really. Mom was so upset about her stilletos..Dad, was stealing looks at N while N was snoring away. He didn't make a good first impression. In fact, I bet if u ask us what the theater was about, no one would be able to tell you. We weren't concentrating!

ps. how do I get to view my banner?

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anedra,

in terms of snoring, your MR. N is exactly the same 'replica' of my hubby(or the other way around ???).Luckily, our first meeting was not in theatre! I love the theatre but it's gonna be a disaster if I bring him along....grrr...


aske'

2:21 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

aske' : I thought I could instill some "culture" in him. But I was WRONG!

3:12 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

narfnarf: dia nya business booming sakan sekarang ni, I think you can ask for more than upah minum teh lah!

my dad reads my blog. when we meet he will comment on what I write. Normally, he's got a million praises for me! But he's my Dad, so he's naturally biased I'm sure! But I know myself lah..so I am not fooled by him! :)

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yr boys as presents to yr parents, how very true, i bet they agree 100%

7:45 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

read this piece yesterday and rindu my arwah abah. Sampai hari ni i still weepy.

ALL YOUR FAULT!

I think raya tahun ni you must give me kad raya besar ada lagu punya, baru boleh maaf. Lagu Saloma punya.

8:09 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

atn: I think they love the boys more than their own children!

OOD: Oooops, sorry! Didn't mean to do that!

Hari Raya card no prob! Only that I wanna sing to you in person! I'll throw in a 60's twist do for you as well. In full 60s kebaya as well! (pinjam KakTeh nya!) apa macam, boleh?

8:15 PM  
Blogger Ely said...

*Ely tengah ambik tissue, lap air mata dia..uhuks*...anedra, so terharu i baca ur blog. sigh...

that was a very nicely written note for ur dad. ur dad nangis tak? i remember 2 yrs back i did a tribute for my dad on father's day. nangis org tua tuh nun jauh di sana.

10:38 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

ely: don't cry lah!!! it's not meant to be sad! donno lah whether my dad read this. He's a silent stalker of my blog. He hasn't said anything so far! :)

11:02 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

new banner where? where? sub-con no good meh? u bad account meh?

11:14 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

ood: that subcon - the installer aka MakcikBlur sibuk! Lastnight I telepon berkali-kali but kept getting answering service "The person you have called is busy putting up banners. Please call again!" dasyat..dasyat..

11:17 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

woi, mengata ke?Tau tak susahnya panjat memanjat nak buboh banner? Spiderman pun tak ajar habis-habisan! Lagipun template si anedra ni bukannya senang nak pasang. Foundation dia tak kuat. Tukar template lah...yang senang2 sikit!

11:53 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

kakteh: I will call u again tonite!

massy: Happy Father's Day to your papa too!

2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anedra, welcome to the world of 30s! Nice write up about your dad:)

3:41 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

nour, it still feels a bit strange to be thirty, but I'm settling in! Still feel young-er at heart ya know!

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing a blog is - that my no.1 daughter and blogger who has never ever wished me Happy Father's Day is moved to pay me so kind and touching a tribute. Thank you Aned.

By the way you have a way with words, a way I'm not aware of. Keep on blogging.

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand, but you'll love being in your 30s! Got a write up on that in my blog...er...for access you need to email me hehe or ask kak teh...I kena stalk lah...got to be elusive sikit

8:06 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

kakcik: aaah.. so you've finally figured out how to comment huh?? GOOOD! about dinner, oklah, but dessert's on me then!!

dad : I couldn't agree more, we're always inspired by one another! And better late than never kan?? ANyways, thanks! *me beaming now!!*

nourclaire : waaah..you got stalker ah? Ok, will ask KakTeh!

KakTeh! Email me Nour's email address please?? TQ!

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home