Sunday, September 18, 2005

My Mee Bandung Surprise

LAST WEEKEND, family matters in the form of a really meriah engagement kenduri beckoned my family and I back to N's hometown, Muar. Or, as the Muarians say it, Muor.

We arrived late Friday night. After settling the kids and putting them to sleep, we went out in search of our first bowls of mee bandung. Memang since we first got married, it's compulsory, must eat mee bandung upon arrival in Muor. The one we got that night was delicious, mouth watering but not exactly what I had been craving for eversince we planned the trip, ie mee bandung at Kadir's. But alas, Kadir is not open at night, so I had to settle for my not-so-Kadir's mee bandung Muor. The next morning, we were woken up by our kids, all fresh and screaming murder for breakfast. So up we got, and after a quick trip to the bathroom, we were out in the car around 7-ish in search of breakfast, Muorian style.

I knew where N was heading. It was a little stall near the TNB office, one that he used to frequent since his childhood days. There, we ordered two bowls of lontong, one bowl of mee rebus, a set of beef and chicken satay and a set of awesome blossom roti bakar. For drinks, three cups of steaming hot extra kow coffee and milo for the boys. And it is perhaps only in Muor where you will find satay stalls all lively and bustling with activity at such hours of the day!

Setelah kenyang, seperti biasa, the boys asked to pay a visit to their friends at Tanjong. As though tak puas pergi Zoo Negara every other weekend, when in Muor, they have to visit the monkeys at the Tanjong nearby. Nasar was so amused by how territorial the monkeys were, when one monkey with a bright red coloured bum chased off a group of others and only let a selected few share the peanuts we were offering. Nasri, my braver one, was busy trying to step on their long pink tails.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
After that, we drove around town admiring the old architecture. N as always will cerita (some stories, we have heard a zillion times over..yawn!) about what he used to do when he was a child, as we passed old buildings he used to frequent. One of them was the Muar Swimming Pool, which once had an Olympic sized pool and which has now gone into a miserable state of disrepair. N was so disappointed. He must’ve spent quite a lot of time there I suppose. It is a shame actually that they have not maintained it.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
After a long drive around town, and a stop over to check on the “situation” at my brother in law's house where the kenduri was to be held, I asked N to take me to Kadir’s shop on Jalan Abdullah for THE Mee Bandung Muor. *as in this is the real deal* (Mental note: I have to remember to ask N why he calls it Kadir when the signboard clearly says Abu Bakar bin SomethingSomething and Sabarina Abu Bakar.) N gave me this look which read “tak kenyang-kenyang lagi?” but obliged in the end. Eleh, sebenarnya, dia pun nak! Finally!! Yes! Again we downed two full bowls of mee bandung. Later, N asked me whether we should bungkus some satay to bring over to bro-in-law’s house later. We decided that we should, and placed the order of 200 sticks with the Satay Man whose name is Satria and told him we’d come by later to pick up the “goods”.

Sebab niat baik agaknya nak belanja orang satay, I had a nice surprise awaiting me at Kadir’s when we returned later after we went back to get dressed for the kenduri. (sidetrack: I discovered then that I did not bring my sandals and had to settle wearing my kebaya with loafers!) There was no parking, so we double parked. N told me to stay in the car just in case we were told to move, so I did.

I heard Bibik saying something in the background about some “perempuan dok bye-bye bye-bye”. I looked out and saw her. NAZRAH!!! There was no doubt about it, and tanpa segan silu and without checking first, whether it was really her, I got out and she came towards me and we exchanged excited hugs. All I could think of was “she’s soooooo puteh!” and how regretfully late I was for the kenduri! What timing!! I babbled some stuff very quickly to her cos by then N was already back in the car, and asked her where her Aishah was. She pointed to a lil kecik adorable girl wearing a white hat sitting quietly with her Dad, CA, in the mee bandung shop. (Nyesal pulak tak panggil Nasar turun to introduce him to Aishah. Manalah tahu kan?)

It was surreal! It’s quite like meeting celebrities from movies, to see Nazrah, CA and Aishah in person after seeing their pictures at her blog all this time. Only that, unlike when meeting celebrities, there is this big gap of unfamiliarity, meeting her, was like meeting family, even though it was for a mere fleeting 2 minutes or so. The best part is, I remember asking her what she was doing in Muor. She gave me her familiar wide grin which makes you wanna smile too, and said, “Makan Mee Bandung lah!” and all the way from Singapore at that!! She really knows her food this one!! I tabik you lah!! You’re the Queen of Makan!!

Needless to say, from the heartfelt embraces we shared, N was pretty much amazed and amused by it all. He kept saying that he was so impressed that Nazrah was so sharp to have recognised me from inside the shop! I smsed KakTeh and OOD a few minutes later to share the news. I then called my mom to tell her about it too. Before I could say anything, she said, “Oooooh, I know!”. Apparently, our ever so efficient better-than-CNN-like reporter from London aka KakTeh had alerted the rest of our clan in Malaysia about my brief encounter with Nazrah. It had already made local news apparently. My dad, asked me whether I took photos, I meekly told him “no” to which he sort of frowned disapprovingly. Ya lah…Why? Why? Why??????

In the end, I was not late! (BIG BIG minus points for my niece’s future hubby!) I could’ve spent more time with Nazrah if I knew! Nevertheless, it really made my weekend! To finally have met in person, someone whom I have chatted with at Ely’s Kedai Kopi, whom I’ve smsed and talked with a few times over the phone and above all, whose blog I read almost religiously so much so, that I feel like I know so much about her and even what she eats daily, cannot really be described in words; by a flat-toner especially. And as a plus point, all this talk of makan or not makan, was not wasted. It has brought us together, in blogworld, at Ely's Kedai Kopi and even at Kadir’s in Muor. Nazrah, says our lil meet was priceless, I couldn't agree with her more!
ps. pls visit nazrah's for a more graphic view of the mee bandung mentioned, the tauke-tauke kedai responsible for the mee bandung and for an enlightening write up on the beautiful Bandar Maharani @ Muor. Oh, and those who visit Muor, please also go try the fresh ice-cold air pear, which is sold somewhere in the "china town" of Muor by the roadside!
pps. just imagine, if it was not her, after all the hugging and whatnots! tak ke malu! hehehe!

23 Comments:

Blogger Kak Teh said...

aaah - priceless and I got the scoop!

2:06 AM  
Blogger t o r t s said...

was back in my hometown - planned to makan mee udang Sungai2. Tak sempat. Passed by the mee kuah ketam - but was raining cat and dog - so tak kesampaian jugak.

And now u mention mee bandung. Aiyo - kepingin teramatlahnya! Must go cari mee bandung tonite. Where to find sedap one nearby huh?

2:07 AM  
Blogger Nazrah Leopolis said...

my goodness, there i go again, drooling at the thought of mee bandung.

yup, i memang kaki makan.

menitik air mata i baca this entry.i love you okay...

2:13 AM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

all this talk abt mee bandung! have you all heard of the East Acton Mee Bandung! fuiyo!!! I'll blog abt it even if i have to do it myself!

2:17 AM  
Blogger Nazrah Leopolis said...

oops nak introduce nasar to aishah...n not the bapak ye? nak buat menantu? muahahaha.gua tada hal, nanti tanya tuan empunya body. i will brainwash her about mee bandung.

ada chance bermenantukan anak pak arab ni.huwalah...

2:22 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

kakteh: ya lah, u'r so efficient!

torts: nearby is like 2 hours drive away..MUOR! But yr sg udang pun sounds so delish!!

nazrah: yeah, EXACTLY what happened to me when I saw the pics at yr blog! droool!!

I love you too!

kakteh: i am fasting today. I must be really hungry that the thought of MEE BANDUNG EAST ACTON pun makes my tummy react with growls! Yes, very yum! I actually miss em! But u have to make me yr Laksa Thai SIng Paste when u come back!

Nazrah: I pun hv to brainwash Nasar on the mee bandung. Ya lah nak menantukan si Aishah, must introduce first, see whether ada chemistry, ada love at first sight ke...he'd prob recognise her. he's been to yr blog many times too!

2:28 AM  
Blogger noha chomel said...

last time masa sekolah kat muor, sekali je makan mee bandung kat one of the coffee shop (tak ingat jalan apa), mmg sedap! maybe next time balik batu pahat, bley la singgah kat mee bandung kadir nih. nanti kak anedra bley la bagi full address ek?

btw, nazrah dah sampai batu pahat cuba beriani power? oh ya, gambo mee bandung muor tu buat air liur berlumba2 nak keluar dari mulut..iiskk..

2:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup, i came for Jejak Kasih Mee Bandung part 2.

my thots: go curi her senduk

aiseh u took a pic of that swimming pool papan tanda and not of our celebrity blogger? he he he

now you 2 made me mengidam mee bandung and how? so far away here....sob sob

2:34 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

noha chomel: go to jalan abdullah, straight aja..I think second last block of shops, on yr left (it's a one way street). Look for Kedai Kopi Wah San. You'll see a signboard for the little stall set up in the kopi tiam "Abu Bakar bin Hamzah (kalau tak silap) dan Sabarina Abu Bakar Mee Banduung Muar. It's right opposite Kim Leng cake house. Sorry dear, don't know the exact address. But u must go, it's awesome!

atn: itu lah. kalau ada test for blogger sure I fail..Ambik gambar-gambar yang salah! what lah!

ayu: I really wanna meet you too! Next time Ayu, ok?? We must, we must, we must!

6:56 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

i never knew of the unity power that mee bandung has. I say the whole country MUST eat mee bandung after singing national anthem!

i was wondering where on muor earth is this kadir shop, then you mention Kim Leng... alamakkkkk, itu kim leng back when they were not so modern, aiya i tell you, their abc aka koktey (cocktail?) was absolutely not from this world.

and what about muor's famous nasi beringin?

die lah die lah... bulan puasa coming soon, must pack meself with bekal to survive through the month!

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kak anedra, i think tu la kot yg i makan masa sekolah dulu (it was ten years a go...) takpe, nanti i carik, tq for the info

8:42 PM  
Blogger Nazrah Leopolis said...

the kopitiam takde signboard besar, but look for a green signboard that says KLINIK HO, sebelah tu je.

Address: Wah San Coffeeshop, 61A, Jalan Abdullah, 84000 Muar, Johor

Tel: 06-952 2900

Mobile: 012-264 2720

Business hours: 6.30am to 6.30pm

Close: Open every day

Payment: Cash

Type of food: Malay

Category: Halal

Budget: $ (less than RM10 per person)

Noise level: 4 (noisy)

9:06 PM  
Blogger atiza said...

aiyoh..both blogs made me crave for mee bandung la wei!!!

9:45 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

ood: my N kalau dilepaskan kat Kim Leng tu can go crazy. he will buy the bread, the cakes and all..it brings back so many memories masa dia kecik-kecik kot! when we're there, he turns into a lil kid all over again. Semuanya "nak! nak! nak!"

noha: your kak intan has all the info for you..siap dgn phone number tauke tu sekali!!

nazrah: wow!! that's what I call info!! caya lah!

atiza: apa lagi? weekend ni turun lah Muor makan mee bandung! Sedap gilerrrr!! slurp! slurp!

11:31 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

Anedra maam, tumpang!

nazrah!
you are so resourceful! the towkey must give you royalti lah. Will key in the important contact details into my address book!

Anedra maam, thank you.
Eh ask your N, why the Muor boys like to chase girls in town. Komedi betul. Was he ever a kutu?

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, u really make me feel like going back to muor today!The TNB stall, Jln Abdullah mee bandung(i used to call it bazaar),tanjung,playground, monkeys..really miss those place-anyway slm perkenalan..i mmg muarian and satu sekolah dgn noha dulu..

8:59 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

OODY: He's still a kutu now tapi control macho most of the time. His clan in Muor is notorious..satu Muor kenal. Perhaps his abang-abang were one of the kutus who chased you..wouldn't be surprised! hehhe!

Mar: Hie!! Yes..go back, go back! it's out of this world that mee bandung isn't it? Muor has changed a lot though in the past 5 years or so.

4:00 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

ailin: waaaaaah ya ke? ardena@crest.com.my. email me k?

4:01 AM  
Blogger Ely said...

apasal takder gambar mammal and her glamor jewels and baju?

10:03 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

ely and ayu: ayooooo... where got glamour and jewels tu setakat one teeeny weeeny stud je! ely, the picture I sent to u and ood, before in my comfy green baju tidorq..haaaa...macam tu lah. except got make up!! show that to ayu..no glamour lah sayang-sayangs!

8:17 PM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

I knew it too!!! Thanks to ur super efficient makcik Blurrrr...

If not for the brake light we could have spoken more hehehe....

Insyaallah next time will plan to meet you

5:39 PM  
Blogger shidah said...

the power of mee bandung muar! i've heard abt it so often but never had the chance to try. kena pgi muar la next time, excuse pi jasin lawat my old school :)

nazrah: yes yr eyes are very sharp! can recognised a person yang tak pernah jumpa. Me? Orang yang kenal pun kalau more that 50 meter away, blurrrr :(

7:03 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

auntyn: next time no more brake lights, promise!

shidah: pi lah rasa. memang berbaloi the trip..but only go to kadir's/abu bakar's for the real deal!

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home