Monday, October 24, 2005

5 Year Joy

The first time I experienced the pain, I did not know that it was THAT pain and that in a another 12 hours my life would change forever. And since the pains came every half an hour or so in the beginning and was quite mild, I thought nothing of it and went to the grocer’s behind the office to get some daun kesum and fish for N’s assam pedas dinner that night, and some bananas for me.

I finally got home after being stuck for hours in the Jalan Ampang jam and had a bit of rest. Again, the pain came..but made of steel (ahaks) as I am..it was still nothing. Strangely, the heavy load that I had been carrying with me for 9 months now seemed extra heavy that night. My body had changed so much that some people didn’t recognize me with the extra 20kgs that I had gained. I never knew my bum could expand THAT big, and for the upper body, oh my….I could’ve given Dolly PArton a run for her money! Fatigue took over me and I dozed off, only to be awaken by another sharp pain. It was then 9pm and I had not cooked yet. Aisay, forget the assam pedas lah!

It then dawned upon me, that it could be my labour pains although I was only due in another two weeks. I called mom to ask her whether I was experiencing labour pains just to be sure..and she said “Oh my gosh Anedra, I can’t remember how it feels! The last I had pains was 15 years ago!!” (right, thanks mom!) and she redirected me to my Mak Su who more or less had the same answer as mom and who then redirected me to the youngest aunt in our family, Kak Nisa who said, “Just go to the hospital now!”. (Dear God, thank you for all the wise aunties I have in my family..)

N was still in the office at the time and I had to interrupt him in the middle of an important meeting. I whispered, “Come home. It’s TIME”. He said, “Now?” I said “Now”. He said “Sekarang??” I said “YA!!” He then said again “Now?” I said “Nevermind!!!!!!” To which he finally said, “OK! I balik sekarang!” Reverse psychology works on men I guess..Well, at least it works on MY man.

A wise friend of mine once told me, one you get in (the hospital), say these magic words. SO when we FINALLY got to the hospital, I flashed my best smile to the nurse, batted my eyes a bit and said the magic words, “Epidural please?”. So much of strength and steel huh? I’m actually a sucker when it comes to pain! N who had no clue what epidural was dared not question me (and my glare) and just signed the consent forms.

I was then already having 10 minute apart contractions while waiting for the epidural sink..Once it was in my system, I was calm and managed some sleep. Mom and Dad came in a few times marveling at how relaxed I was! The wonders of epidural, I say!

The rest of the jin-bang (no adiejin here) were already gathered at the waiting lounge by 1 am. You see, in our family, so far, it is customary that whenever one gives birth, the whole kampong is around to give support!! So, Mom, Dad, MakSu, PakSu, PakAji, KakNisa and the rest were all there, patiently waiting for the arrival of the new family member in between rounds of the tarik and roti canai at Bangsar. (if I never thanked you..here it is THANKS!!!)

Just before Subuh I was awaken by the nurse who said, “It’s time” and continued on a very animated conversation with N on how N and I could use some method to get twins on our next try, while strapping my legs into position.. N who was then planning on having a family the size of a whole football team was excited already at the prospect of twins at our next try and repeatedly questioning the nurse "betul ke? betul ke?" (See, can never trust that man alone with nurses!)

The doctor came in a few minutes later with her yellow Pua Chu Kang boots, looking so relaxed, and said, “Ok Anedra, when I say push..you push SOOOO hard, like you’ve never pushed before!”.. Chief nurse said “Imagine a really bad case of constipation!” Yeah right….and push I did, while doctor, chief nurse and the other two nurses cheered me on like cheerleaders at a soccer game minus the short skirts and pompoms!

It wasn’t easy pushing when you are numb and can’t feel anything.. what more, with N hovering around trying to peek in between my legs just to be sure it's a baby coming out and a boy. But, after a few huffs and puffs and three pushes, he came out, slimy, a bit smelly, but nontheless the most beautiful thing we'd ever seen. The nurses said almost in unison "Eh, eh, botak..macam papa!!” , while N proudly beamed at his first son. N then kissed me and said, “Senangnya! No pain! Tahun depan we have one more ok?” I dismissed thoughts of punching him since such negative thoughts was already detected by the baby who was wailing his lungs away.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Nasar, a few hours old

Mom who was there too, was already oooh-aaah-ing away exclaiming how “intelligent” and “smart” her first grandchild is. And how he looks so very sharp, yada..yada..yada.. How she knew it was all that, I don’t know.. It was probably just a plain profound blind love for her first newborn grandson. It definitely was love at first sight for her, as it was for us.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
One year old Nasar

That was 5 years ago. We named that slimey baby, Syed Nasar, and Nasar turns five today. Always the cute and charming and smart one in the eyes of his parents and gets away with murder with his grandparents. A loving, fine boy whom I can’t ever imagine life without, one, who changed our lives and filled it with so much happiness, with his entrance into this world.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Nasar, today, at 5 years old.

And my oh my, what an achievement for me! 5 years ago, I could never have imagined surviving diaper changes, breastfeeding and what not. And now, after surviving a 5 year old Nasar and his three year old partner in crime, Nasri, I'd do it all over again! (But please God, gimme a girl the next time?)

Just like Nazrah said, “Hidup jugak anak engkau jaga ek?”
Haha..Tell me about it!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Me and my 5 year old baby puffing his cheeks

ps: Happy Birthday too, to the owner of my favourite kedai kopi, Ely!! Ely, on your birthday, I made your Shephards Pie! It looks promising, but donno how it tastes lah, with my cooking skills, you knowlah how! BUT I will eat and celebrate on your behalf tonite!!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Ely's Shephard's Pie. YUMMMMY!

29 Comments:

Blogger Uja said...

Ok Anedra, this is weird. But I swear with all my missing kambings that you LOOK LIKE KAK TEH!! Betul!! Den tak tipu!!

This is the first time I see your image unblurred (no pun intended for a certain lovable relative of yours ;) and YOU LOOK LIKE HER, WOMAN! Masya'allah!

Ok now to the REAL deal. Tell the birthday boy Auntie Uja says Happy Birthday ok! And kalau datang Singapore dapat duit raya ;)

7:47 AM  
Blogger t o r t s said...

Happy 5th birthday to Nasar. In no time - you'll be blogging about his school, the exams, the girlfriends, bla, bla, bla. Time flies..and we grow older - so fast :)

Whatever happen to daun kesum - and the pie looks so good!

2:36 PM  
Blogger shidah said...

happy birthday nasar! Orang lahir bulan oct ni memang pandai2, cam aunti shidah kan? (i know it's yr blog, bagi la can angkat bakul sikit yek?)

3:30 PM  
Blogger Ely said...

hehehehehe, so cute the beranak story. i nvr had epidural but sure will try it when i have my 3rd one (cewah).

i like ur hair! nice nice! abih sedap tak the sheperds pie?

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally I've got to see the face behind all those stories . Happy birthday Nasar . You beat me on making the shepherds pie , baru ingat nak buat Saturday ni , How was it ?

5:49 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

Uja: We look more alike when we're blurred! hehehe!! alahai..kalau dah darah daging tu, tak lari ke mana lah kan?

torts: thanks! the daun kesum was left in the kitchen to dry up for two months until after I returned from pantang!! the shephards pie was yummy!

shidah: kalau ikut aunty shidah tu, alhamdulillah lah kan? and happy birthday to you tooo! Belated I suppose?

ely: go for it gurl! shephards pie was delicious!! thanks! nasib baik menjadi! phew!

mrsamd: the pie was great! the recipe is at ely's recipe blog..link dia ada kat sentraal station!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Ruby M. said...

cantiknya anedra :)

anedra, i am one person who got dissapointed with epidural. these stoopid doctors inserted the tube wrongly, and i was suffering with back ache for hours,before they had time to come back and re placed it!! and after delivery, my left leg got numbed for a few more hours...i really thought i lost it due to allergy ke apa.. :( so scary...camna nih.. not many months to go!!!!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Ruby M. said...

oh lupa laks..very hensem boy syed nasar is!!! nak boy nak boy!!! happy belated birthday nasar, did u like the sheperds pie?

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deyne Dear,
Congratulations and a very happy birthday to Nasar! I still remember meeting him for the first time when he was wee-big at your apartment. I can't believe it's been 5 years since, phew! Take care and kiss kiss for him from Auntie A.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Nazrah Leopolis said...

pandai kau buat pie...buat kek bila?

happy birthday nasar sugarbun gumdrops munchkin.

9:58 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

maknenek: alamak, what an experience with the epidural!! Mine has been ok, both times. Ingat kan nanti, when ada third one nanti, nak go normal!! (yeah right!) if I don't chicken out that is!

Good luck with the pregnancy! Will pray that u'll get a boy!They're mighty fun!

AuntieA: Omigod!! It's been soooo long!! How are ya??? Email me? My email is still the same! Yup! He's a big boy now!

nazrah: bawak bersabar che kak oii.. ini pun nyaris-nyaris pie tak jadi!! Nanti kalu I buat kek I amik gambar eh?

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kak anedra...u beautiful! oopps...birthday boy pun encem gak..happy birthday nasar!

btw, up la itu resepi..bole saya cuba..;)

10:46 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Selamat Hari Raya to you and your family, ma'am. Have a good one.

11:31 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

noha: aisay, malulah pulak! thanks anyway. the recipe u can find at the link for Ely's Kitchen kat Sentraal Station. Pergilah..banayak resipi menarik kat situ!

Bergen: And may yours be great too! I hope u won't be at sea!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Blabarella said...

There's something very cheeky about Nasar eh? So comel!! Wait, wait, if my calculations serve me right since we got married on the same day, remember?), you bunting pelamin ah?

And the mommy's a looker herself!!

3:06 AM  
Blogger Blabarella said...

*Snap* *Snap* goes Nasar's little Scorpion tail if you cross his path!! Betui tak?

3:07 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

ailin: yup..he's mommy's boy..both of em are I think!

blabs: gulp!! bunting pelamin?? heheh! more or less lah! guilty as charged maam!

3:26 AM  
Blogger Nazrah Leopolis said...

oiii bukan kek tu...kek jeng jeng lah..u sure u want to put picture?

2:50 PM  
Blogger atiza said...

happy belated besday nasar..
make your mom happy okay :)

10:13 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

narfnarf: tu kak ely dah dekat..go get her to make one for you!! yummy indeed!

nazrah: alamaks..kek tu eh..jeng!jeng!jeng! tunggu bulan mengambang sat!

atiza: thanks! mommy is very happy!

concrete rose: I know it's you lah! will kiss nasar for you. We shd meet over Raya with the rest. My place..terrorise N again! haha!

10:44 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

Oh what a poignant piece!

They always grow up too fast (uh, we grow sideways too fast too).

Happy kissykissy birthday to the goodlooking no-more-botak boy! And happy kissykissy menge-birthday to the goodlooking botak-gets turned-on anedra!!

May there will be a little girl to put ribbons and curly wurly pink stuff on soon too.

*love*

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deyne & *concreterose*,
It's been ages, I know :-(. I'm still trying to rid the thesis monster off my back. I have till mid February 2006, so it's a mad dash to get everything done (research and all) on top of my 10-hour work day. All of my travel and leisure plans have been put on hold since August, can you believe that? Anyway, I'll email you ladies as soon as I can get away from work. Take care and lots of love from cold NY.
p/s: I feel old identifying myself as Auntie A, I never thought this day will come :-(.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Honeytar said...

Anedra! That Sheppard's Pie look so yummy! I like! lehh.. meleleh ni tengok bulan2 posa nih... :)
Ohhh.. Happy Birthday to your little boy!

8:19 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

OODY: thankyou! yup, in no time they'll grow and leave the old wrinkly mommy at home..sob!sob!

Happy Hari Raya. My plan to reduce my "horizontal" growth tak mejadi pun!! Cepat sangat raya!! One more round of ramadahn please?

AuntyA: ya lah..we miss you!! Eh, my bro is in NYC. has been there since sept and will be there until after christmas. kerja kat UN! maybe u guys can meeet-meet? email us k??

honeytar: thanks..sebab shephards pie tu lah diet tak menjadi posa ni! heheh!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

adakah posting ini ditimekan untuk kena tepat masanya dengan kepulangan otehnya? supaya terpaksa ke oxford street lagi untuk memberi barang?

1:12 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

OH OTEHKU: Memanglah! Lepas tu kan..sebab balik setahun sekali, belilah untuk besday mama dia, adik dia, papa dia dan bibik-bibiknya sekali!!

See ya soooooooooooooooooooooon!

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dena, finally get to see you in clear view:)

Endearing post - Happy belated b-day to Nasar!

8:23 PM  
Blogger atenah said...

wei hey hey anak and mak dua2 cute miut. errr sapa yg chop nak jadi besan again?

hepi besday Nasar, go go go D for a baby girl. dont forget singgah rumah Aunty N curi senduk. if it works, i minta komisen bagi petua ok he he he

4:54 AM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

Happy Birthday to Nasar. InsyaAllah nanti dapat adik pompuan pulak OK.

Epidural? Never tried it, turned it down when the nurse asked whether I wanted it.

Sherperd pie looks yummy. You think I can get to taste it very, very soon, (instead of the kuih raya tu *wink* wink*

SELAMAT HARI RAYA, MAAF ZAHIR BATIN TO YOU AND FAMILY.

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home