Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Honeymoon RingRings


I don’t know why, but suddenly memories of my honeymoon, almost 6 years back keep coming by playing peek-a-boo with me today.

Perhaps it’s because on the way to work today, N and I were discussing on the remote possibility of us going for a whirlwind holiday this end of year. The discussion was a letdown. Mainly because, at the very mention of going for a holiday, N said, “Cannot go. Busy!”. Of course, as I work in the same outfit as N, I understandably understand the predicament he is in. But I understandably do not want to understand him.. Understand?

"Busy", from previous experience means that, although he could probably physically afford not to be present in the office, it would mean that the holiday, if we went, would be disrupted somewhat, by phonecalls every other hour of the day and thus rendering poor N, unable to enjoy what holidays are supposed to be. Rest and relax. Fun and excitement. Stress and headache free. You know, all things nice that will not happen in the office?
Which brings me to the honeymoon.

There we were, two-day-old newlyweds. One very excited N, and one dazed Anedra touched down on the 1st February 2000 at the Cairo International Airport. N, excited that he’d be seeing the pyramids and visiting the National Museum in Cairo soon. Anedra, dazed that she was married, with no clue on how to behave as a wife and wondering whether her newly acquired husband would allow her a ride on a camel in the desert, to live out her childhood dream of becoming an Egyptian Princess!

Of course, after watching enough Hollywood movies to be convinced that a honeymoon would and must be all sugar-coated and dripping with honey-like lovey-dovey-mushiness, my expectation was nothing less. If we could, we'd have walked in the clouds, as well...or rather, I would have. Well, that didn’t really happen for us. It did, during the 10 hour flight, cos we weren’t contactable by phone. But once we touched down..it was ring-ring a few times a day at the most inconvenient hours. Nak pegang tangan je..Rrring! Nak romantic dinner je..Ringring! When about to whisper sweet nothings to him, he was responding not so sweet stuff to the phone on the other ear. Oh, and let’s not even get to the other stuff that honeymooners do on honeymoons, which were interrupted with ringrings!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
honeymooning me

Thank God, for the exotic beauty of Cairo and the Nile which served as good distraction from the ringrings for me and for blessing me with patience when it comes to my Ns ringrings. And thank God to Hollywood for sort of setting my mind into a honeymoon mood no matter what. Also, Thank God for N, despite the ringsrings, he never once showed any sign of stress, although he must've been somewhat annoyed by it all!
I never did get my camel ride in the end; it was almost winter, and very cold at times. I would have been crazy to pay, just to freeze my not-so-large-bum-then on a camel! However, the honeymoon as I remember it, was, nevertheless beyoootiful beyond words and for me romantic anyway, with warm fuzzy memories and the sound of distant faint ringrings of the phones attached. And I am pretty sure, as much as we were disturbed by the calls, N had his share of fun, there in Egypt.. only that, it could have been better if headaches from KL didn't have to be shared across the oceans all the way with us in Egypt, I'm sure.

So, I do want to be selfish and persuade N to be a bit wreckless and say "sod it" and go for a holiday anyway. It would do him good. Over time, unlike N, I have been able to shut out and ignore the ringrings when they come (but then again, I'm not paid to answer ringrings, so I can!). The ringrings are anyway, inevitably, a very large part of our everyday life. I suppose, it shall be so, for as long as he does what he does for a living these days. And therefore, I suppose phone ringrings should not deter us from having a life, and from us going for that holiday. Makes sense, doesn't it?

All I am asking for is a getaway, even if it has to be extra short. I know he needs one too, even more than I do, really! Even if it isn't somewhere beautifully breathtaking and exotic with camels or handsome Italian men. Even if it's not romantic (which will not happen with our kids in tow). Even if it's not a second honeymoon like we oh-so want. Even if it's just
Bagan Lalang at Sepang!
And, even if N's phone ringrings all the time. I think we can manage that. Afterall, they invented the "on-off" button for a reason, didn't they?

24 Comments:

Blogger shidah said...

ring...ring... mean ktinggg.... ktingggg he has a job. no holidays, mean more money to save. look at the bright side. selalu pi holiday, money goes out like speeding on the highway.... :)

p/s kak teh still kat msia ke? eh, how to contact u ah??

3:28 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

oh why dont you kids go holiday, you know, just go. I will only call you say... 4-hourly for live telecast. Office calls you dont answer, spoil only.

couples must always go holiday. Once a year to bagan lalang also can. To rekindle whatever. but holidays with the kids can be tiring lah kan, after which you need another holiday, this time just to rest.

if he doesnt wanna go, drug him. and once there, sabo his phone.

4:43 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

shidah: problemnya, tak selalu!! ktinggktingg but no rest and cannot spend also no point, isn't it? hehe!

about kakteh, she is going back soon. email me at denaziz@yahoo.com ok? and I'll give u my contact number or viceversa! or if u hv atiza's number, she has mine!

6:00 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

ood: Drug him? I might as well go alone! haha! WHich, is an idea actually! COuld I tompang my kids at yours AUnty Ood?

6:02 PM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Must be nice to go on holiday as a family.

9:00 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

oh by the way,
gambar tu slimnya.

Once upon a long long time ago, there was a slim egyptian princess..

she had slim principessa oody as buddy too.

10:21 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

bergen: yup, it is. u gotta try it one day ok? :)

dade ghost: now that u mention it, it was pretty blood curling, hair raising and all!

oody: yes, that egyptian principessa is now desperately trying to get back to THAT weight, while her buddy principessa oody, is till so tiny enuff, that she (oody) and her yamtuan and kiddies, could all live in a box!

another childhood fantasy is to roll out of a carpet ala Cleopatra to surprise was it Alexander the Great or Hercules? For me, Vin diesel lah..but now must find a VERY large carpets and mighty strong servants to carry rolled up princess me in the carpet!

10:41 PM  
Blogger Queen Of The House said...

Ha ha hilarious betul lah korang ni!

Holidays are made to be enjoyed, so go only when you can enjoy them. Or do everything humanly possible to ensure it's enjoyable. I want a holiday too, but with 4 kids in tow, what holiday? Balik rumah nanti kena buat laundry selungguk/dua tiga lungguks.

11:29 PM  
Blogger shidah said...

dropped you a bomb, errr a mail....

12:47 AM  
Blogger atiza said...

bagan lalang for a holiday? you've booked a place in Seri Malaysia or you're going for a family camping?

bila nak lunch with kak teh and the gang at klcc ni?

1:12 AM  
Blogger AuntyN said...

Persuade him togo lah kalau boleh. Nanti dah tak larat dah baru nak gi holiday lagi waste time and money. Masa tu dah nyesal tak sudah dah tu. SO even for a daytrip just go lah. Ring...Ring.. pun ring ring lah.

1:30 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

Yr Royal Highness The QOTH: I know what u mean..sometimes thinking of all that je dah penat. Kan?

Shidah: it was lovely talking to u. we must jumpa nanti k?

Ailin: I wish. I wish!

atiza: belum book anything..belum plan pun. sebut je dah kena reject! haiya

auntyN: I think so too. Belasah je lah kan? If not, we'll never go anywhere!

6:23 AM  
Blogger Ely said...

dena, ur pic too small.

sigh, honeymoon times, seronok kan?

8:57 AM  
Blogger t o r t s said...

1) The Ringring will not stop. 2)U can't make them stop. 3) u'r definitely in ctrl of the on-off but'on.
So - pack and go, focus on picking and choosing when to on the but'on accordingly. Be assured - they'll call until they get him on the phone. So let them reach him when u want them to. But 4)u gotto convince N lerr.
Can do, right? ..Good luck :)!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Nazrah Leopolis said...

torts seem to have a workable idea here.

may i pinjam?

ya dena, u two sure need a holiday.

5:07 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

ely: haiya..that's why lah..me so mangkuk and edited to that size. now too lazy to go put another one at photobucket! nevermind, good effects for making me look slimmer maaaah! yes no? haha!

torts: nos 1 to3 I can manage. no. 4 yang susah sikit! how?? maybe i shd take ood's advise and drug him!

nazrah: yes, go pinjam. go for a holiday!! it'll be fun! Me, I'll just wait for bulan jatuh ke riba! :(

5:29 PM  
Blogger t o r t s said...

dene - go ahead drug and drag him! sounds like lots of fun :)

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We received complaints that this blog has not been updated. We are very not-pleased with your oh-so-bad performance. We think you are wicked like that. We are seriously considering issuing a saman terbang your way.

Unless of course you send a surat rayuan together with SuperSupreme Pizza (lotsa olives please) to some office behind Ampunk Park.

ASP Wooden

2:12 AM  
Blogger HH said...

My goodness... just read Bergen's latest entry and found out that kak Teh is your aunt. I already know that Maknenek is related to her. Just how many are you in here? Wow! Bestnya to have the whole family writing on something... oh by the way, i'm Anim..

12:24 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

torts: yeah right!! he isn;t all that tiny!

ASP Woooden : Arrrrggghhh!!! *shaking fists in air!*

dewa: Hey there! I know YOU!

anim: well, there's a whole bunch of us.. KakCik (My mom, KT's sistah, but she never updates her blog), ajiekapai (My uncle KT's bro who also rarely updates but is a bit more rajin than KakCik), then there's Sir Awang Goneng (KT's one and only one! hehe!), then there are a few more cooking in the oven! Welcome to the family!

1:02 AM  
Blogger HH said...

I know what i'll suggest kak teh to write in her entry - a family tree. god! ramai betul korang dlm ni yek...oo..btw, i'm anim. come and read some of entries if you will.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Awang Goneng said...

Your memory of Egypt is more precious than mine. When I was there, standing outside the Bait Shabbab (Youth Hostel)in Cairo I was propositioned by a shoe-shine boy who made some gestures with his shoe-shine hands about advancing to a nearby belukar and having a doo-dah. I gave him the Yalla, yalla! Imshi ya kalb! I say, that's probably him in the background in your picture.

2:29 PM  
Blogger rawna said...

hi! saw anim's comment saying kak teh is yr aunt. hhmm... that means we r related? hello.. er... cousin?

9:55 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

anim: yes, why not? :)

dewa: update kan, boleh???? demaaaam lah!

AG: Sir, I believe it was the same boy, although he's prob slightly *winks* older now! He kept giving N suggestive glances, and at one point, even winked!

rawna: KT is my mom's sis.So, we're related?? Heyyy...sedara!!

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home