Friday, November 25, 2005

The Visit to the Dentist

Thank you for all the kind wishes and support. Not to mention the few horror stories thanks to my storyteller friend Oody and co. It helped, really!

The day I was due to meet the dentist, I woke up with my heart pounding against my chest. It was pounding so hard, you could almost see my body quivering with each pound..Or… was that just me shivering?

Anyway, although I said I was to meet the dentist, I hadn’t actually made any appointments. I thought, “Surely there are an abundance of dentists around the area where I live and surely they’re all free to see me.” Yeah right. The dentistry business I guess is in a boom. N and I spent a good hour that morning calling up almost all the dental clinics in our area for an appointment. ALL of them turned us down flat, and almost all could only fit me in on Saturday! I never knew business was that good. And I suppose, since everybody has teeth and everybody else in this world, except for me and Dr Bubbles, visit dentists every 6 months, business should and must be really good!

After that one hour of rejection, I was almost (gladly) about to give up, when a kind nurse called me back to say that a patient had cancelled an appointment with the doctor at her clinic, so she told me to come at 11.30. I said “ok” but actually inside, I was going “Oh no!” Drats!

I arrived at exactly 11.30 am. It was a really nice clinic. There was no need to guess whether the doctor was female or male. The clinic was very feminine. There were artwork in neat frames on each wall, nice little plotted plants everywhere, nicely wall-papered walls and nice scents of potpourri permeating the room. So, I sunk into one of the plush sofas in the cosy little sitting room waiting for my name to be called, while staring aimlessly at the TV showing some Indonesian drama series with a book that I brought with me on my lap. (which was just for show, really. How could I read then??)

I was just beginning to relax and convince myself that the whole thing was really not a big deal at all, when I heard an intense drilling sound coming out from the consultation room. It brought back not so very happy memories from the past! The drills, the scaling thing, the huge needles. Urrrrgggghhh! I felt sick already. Even my tummy did a few summersaults in agreement!

Then my name was called. I had imagined the doctor to be a big burlesque woman with a surgical mask covering her face, and a stern voice to match and a hard disgusted look as though saying, “you naughty-naughty girl. You haven’t been brushing your teeth well!” Oh no!! But instead, to my surprise, it was a petite, pretty little lady with a smile that could grace any toothpaste advert effortlessly. She said, “My dear, how are you? What is the problem that you need me to fix?”... Sighhh...I felt better instantly. Phew!

The rest is history. The ordeal, was as usual unpleasant. I mean, how could opening your mouth for a stranger to see and poke with dangerous looking stainless steel objects that can drill and make holes in your mouth be pleasant? Regardless of whether she is pretty and has a smile that could kill. Really. She was a good doctor though, very gentle (well, she tried) and very thorough. Definitely one I would recommend.

The wisdom tooth? I still don’t get how it can be wise or make anyone any wiser! Well, it was badly infected (for a tooth that makes you wise) and needed some cleaning up plus two injections. The doctor put me on antibiotics and painkillers which should keep me sane till my scheduled surgery next week. I have however, decided not to worry about it this weekend, where I intend to have major la-la fun minus the yum-yum food! I’ll start the worry frenzy and the p*e in my pants drama beginning Monday.

In the meantime… Have a good weekend folks!

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't worry too much..you'll live, and have the rest of the teeth intact, kalau tak pun, my arwah mak's dentures ada lagi..nak pinjam, boleh..

*titi*

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi anedra,

you have gone through the worst pain - labour pain & you said it yourself, you took epidural. the same here, you will be given anaesthetic, you will be in good hands.

i've extracted 3 wisdom teeth. just like you i tried to avoid the dentist. the 1st time after the extraction tried to be a hero & did not take painkiller & i gurgle alot - big mistake throbbing pain and non-stop bleeding. had my surgery for the 3rd one last year, not that bad at all. only that due to the surgery as the tooth was embedded in the gums there was infection. dentist gave me a surgical brush, some anitbiotics to take plus anti-bacterial solution to gurgle.

i don't know whether yours is normal extraction or surgery but just remember to take the painkiller immediately 'cos you will feel some pain once the anaesthetic wears off. 2ndly remember not to gurgle with water as it will take longer time for the bleeding to stop.

don't think about it & just go to the dentist on monday. have a good weekend.

7:39 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

titi: thanks. errr..just keep those dentures on standby eh? ;p

anon: hello! you brave, brave person! And after 3 extractions..you make it sound like going to the hairdressers! thanks for the advise, I'll definitely keep it in mind. Surgery isn't on monday. Still waiting for confirmation, but definitely next week. YIKES!

10:38 AM  
Blogger shidah said...

hahahaha! i'm going to blog abt dentist soon, inspired by u :) hearing it, coz a war in my tummy, apatah lagi experiencing it

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's me again Anedra. i'm not brave gal, just that you've got to do what you've got to do.

i chicken out the 1st time, did not even turn up for the appointment..... the thing is if i did not do it then, i will end up having bigger problem as my dentist advise me that i could not clean the wisdom teeth properly & will decay - which will cause even more pain. you won't feel a thing when the dentist extract your teeth with the anesthetic.

oh, i forgot to remind you one more thing, just bite on the gauze & keep changing it - your bleeding will stop within a day. the dentist will give you some but not enough, get some gauze from the pharmacy.
good luck!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Blabarella said...

Aiyo, so very the kesian you!! On hindsight kan, could the ulcers have come out because the wisdom tooth was growing? I've heard of people demam2 and all when wisdom tooth coming out, because body became really heaty .. so maybe that was the prelude.

Thank goodness the visit to the dentist went well!! But for me kan, I've always preferred male dentists to female ones, because the female ones will never layan my constant cries of pain and fear!! I think they think I'm just being mengada-ngada when in actual fact, I'm in terrible pain!!

Surgery next week huh? Will pray for it to be swift and as painless as possible for you, okay? I myself have never extracted any wisdom teeth (not sure if I've even grown them) so I can't even begin to imagine the pain!!

Good luck, girl!!

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deyne Dear,

Good luck with the surgery next week. My dental surgeon suggested that I bring some music (walkman/ipod/dll) to make the process more bearable, and it worked for me. I tried very hard to not look in his direction during the entire process, and concentrated on the songs. Or if you're zen enough, you can try meditating. Enjoy the weekend and all the best!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

did you hear about pak teh taking hafiz to the dentist for the first time? Well, u know how he is really not into drugs and injections , so he took hafiz to a dentist who hypnotised the little boy so that he wont feel the pain. It actually worked - and hafiz was happy, like , lalalalala...and just as the dentist was about to extract the offending tooth - he woke up! All that cost £50!!!! and I told pak teh, he'd have to hypnotise me first before making me pay for that!

ps - ha - makan coklat banyak2 lagi!

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

way to go girl..
Go dena , go dena :-P .. you'll be fine la hon.
anyway.. heheh i see OOD the horror tok dalang have yet to write her comments .. we'll see what she would say huh..
Good luck.. :-) plenty of anaesthetic , dat's just the way to go heheheh

5:03 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

shidah: I shall wait for yr posting! but no horror stories please??!! Not until after my surgery!

anon: thanks for the tip..sounds like a good idea-the gauze.

Blabs: Actually, me too! Male preferred, but since that day takde dentist available, I didn't really have the luxury of choosing! lagi berdebar-debar!! haha!

aa : I don't have zen. Zilch, nada! I'll go with the ipod idea though!! Thanks girl!

5:18 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

kakteh: I wanna go to that doctor!!! I'd rather that than the huge needles! But really, that was a big risk, huh?? What if the hypnotism thing wore off??

Chocolates?? What chocolates? ;p

ailin: you mean, there will be stitches???? Arrrrghhhhhhhh!!!!! Nooooo!!!!

rojakbuah: takut kan?? Jom?? nak ikut tak??

ariel: OOD?? well, knowing her, she'll cook up some cerita to hype me up! haha!

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anedra

I just wonder how did you manage to go through the drill while we were in STF last time. We had to visit them twice a year, right? without fail? remember the room next to Pn normah's room?

Aske'

2:26 AM  
Blogger Bergen said...

You'd be fine.

2:42 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

aske': I never liked it..but I did it. where do you think all my "bad memories" of the dentist come from if not from those days? :)


bergen: I hope. it's the anticipation that is worse than the event itself, actually.

3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said Anedra. Like I said before, don't even think about it. Don't be frightened by the "tales" that were told, you will be fine, with the pain killer & anesthetic, trust me!

3:53 AM  
Blogger Mr Hobo said...

seriously ... this is the 4th blog about going to dentist i read today .... the international dentist month ka november?

8:39 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

anon: thanks! you're so kind w yr support! maybe u can be a cheerleader for me during the whole ordeal? best jugak tu!

mrhobo: yeah..I was just thinking the same! went bloghopping and found all stuff related to dentists!

concreterose: hmmmmmmm?? you were probably hiding in one of the closets in the dorm! haha!

1:53 AM  
Blogger OOD said...

ARIEL!
where got horns? Halo i got lah.

Dena, GO with my blessing and all will be well.

Ariel, see?

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kak, camne gigi? dont worry, everything will be ok..hehe..pandai jek cakap kat orang kan? saya pun takut gak...huhuh...

7:03 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

Ood: apa-apa lah!

nohachomel: I hope I will be ok.

nutcase: gigi masih intact dan belum dicabut lagi! ahaha!

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home