Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Whatever



The dentist could not give me a slot this week for the tooth extraction because the guy who’s supposed to look at the x-rays has not done so. As much as I hate things being delayed, this time, it’s a-ok, cos the tooth is not hurting any more and the whole surgery really isn’t something I’ve been looking forward to. I’ll wait for them to call. If it’s next year, even better!

Anyways, I was approached by a head hunter recently with an offer that was nice enough to make me consider leaving the company I am with right now. I’ve always thought that after eight years of working where I am today, it is about the right time to move before I become part of the building fixtures! But apart from my worry of becoming something of a museum display, I thought that, for a change, it would have been nice to move and work in downtown KL where I could take the LRT instead of drive to work, and be just across the street from where an anakikan works so I could harass her for lunch every other day.

BUT then again, I thought, perhaps not. For pure sentimental reasons. I have been here since I was just a trainee at 18 years old, they sent me abroad to study and have so kindly groomed me to be where I am today (not that its such a great position by the way, but alhamdulillah!). The timing for this offer was also not quite right, it came on the day I was given a wee lil promotion and so to even consider it felt so, so wrong! And there’s just so much pride taken in what has been achieved by the company so far. Then of course, there’s the fact that, I met the love of my life here. Which is really, perhaps, the reason why I don’t want to go.

N and I have worked in the same company, even before I met and laid my eyes on him for the first time and knew that he exists in this world. When we got married, it was like a company affair to the point that the wedding dinner became somewhat more like a company dinner than a wedding! It was a celebration of sorts for the company, as some “matchmaking” efforts had actually succeeded, or so they claim.

Having said that, we are hardly what you’d call an item. Our offices are on the same floor, less than a 3 minute walk away. We attend the same meetings, we go for the same functions. But, you’d never see us having breakfast together in the mornings, we almost never have lunch together unless it’s a lunch meeting and we even go to work in separate cars. It’s weird. Even, our colleagues have labeled us as weird and some have even gossiped that I am probably Wife Numero 2 which is why we come and go separately! Oh well, let them talk aye?

And really when I think of it, I can’t really touch-base on what exactly I like about having him in the same office with me. It’s probably the fact that I can go ask for lunch money when I didn’t bring enough. It’s probably the fact that I can always “tumpang” him home when I’m too lazy to drive. It’s probably the fact that I get so much thrill out of sneaking winks at him across meeting tables and watching him squirm with embarrassment. And hey, when else can a wife watch her husband be instructed around in the office by the bosses (cheap sadistic thrill isn’t it?) OR on the other hand watch how “macho”-like the husband can get when handling the day to day operations of the projects we’re working on (my hero! Sigh…)? Plus, it gives us a lot of common ground…we’re passionate about the same things, he understands the stress I have and leaves me alone to layan my feelings at the right times and vice versa.

It’s comfortable being here with him. A little comfort zone away from home. It’s almost perfect actually (if I were his boss, then it’d be PERRRRFECT! Haha!). And perhaps I am a closet-clinger but I am too "sexy" to admit that! haha!
Then again, the offer is good. And I could take the LRT, so no more traffic jams!! PLUS I could go window-shopping after work. Sigh! Sigh! Sigh! Tempations! Temptations!

I suppose, these are things that money can't buy and becoming an antique in this place can't be that bad. So, I won’t leave.
I won’t.
I won't, right?

I need a brain check.

21 Comments:

Blogger Bergen said...

You've got it made, girl, working in the same office as your man. Maybe they should start sending women on the rig. They can start off with geologists, some of them onshore geologists are just gorgeous, good enough for a romance movie or as talents in cosmetic commercials. And engineers. Sometimes I wonder why they study something like engineering in the first place when they can be a beauty queen if they want to. Then again maybe it is not such a hot idea on the rig for two weeks on end. It could be the reason for me to get involved in a brawl, and we don't want no deck hand overboard in the water or else the country is going to running short of oil. Tough issue this is and I don't have the brain to crack it open.

11:21 PM  
Blogger OOD said...

dena,
imagine a day i spill one drop of coffee on my baju at work. No problem. Just go to 'kedai belakang ofis' and beli baju baru.

and oh no, lalu depan kipas, rambut terangkat sikit and cannot just use fingers, just pegi 'kedai belakang ofis' for a bit of touch up.

got meeting after lunch and just had lunch of ikan bakar and belacan and now smell like belacan? naik train seringgit pegi kedai yang only seminit away and mintak salesgirl perfume spray spray sikit left right center top bottom. settle problem.

civilisation woman! Get civilised!

Drag him along!

12:51 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

bergen: we've got female offshore geologists here too, bergen. a handful. and they're pretty hot too! they're on survey vessels though, not rigs. I was told once when going offshore that us women would be potential safety hazards. Didn't believe it, but then when I got onboard and said hello to a welder, he was so shocked and screamed "HANTU! PEREMPUAN!" and practically dropped the stuff he was carrying! Got me wondering how ugly I was those days! haha! Those were the days when women don't go on board. Now they're used to it. We won't cause any LTIs or man-overboard cases, nor will we be responsible for any shortage on the nation's oil production. So, go request for some female geologists. We gals are fun company, I can assure you!

ood: you sure u have halos and not horns??? Tempted weii..I'd be just across the street from you!!

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anedra ,
It's like reading my own life....for now .The company ,the man . Sometimes I wish I could make the move but ...heck no , I'll be missing all the fun.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Maya said...

Hiya,

This romance made in the boardroom is fun and could be sustained by the goings-on in the boardroom (just winks? c'mon I am sure theres the genlte but very suggestive brush of your curves againt him, quite by accident of course, or the promise in your eyes of a special night later that day, or on a more daring note, the hint of a quickie in the office pantry) but maybe you need to see the world and OOD and me...so yes move out and yes, bring him along..BUT only if the money is good because you could be buying us lunches and even high-teas, so high that we'd all have to climb over to get back home :)

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe ..

Dena, hubs got transferred to another subsidiary in Oct .. and now his office is on the same floor as mine.. got pros and cons la.. but we dont have meetings together coz diff subsidiary and line of work ... being driven is nice tho..
on the other subject ..id be on OOD's side.. hehe so convenient la.. if lupa bawa socks nak gi gym,(lemme see, do we wanna go parkson, isetan or studio r for it) :-P ... spoiled for choice when nak gi makan.. and dont start with sales and all dat..we got our target marked for days ;-) kan ood kan .. very the nice hehehe.. jom la..

6:43 PM  
Blogger Blabarella said...

Winks in the boardroom are just SO sexy!! Do you ever get to sit side by side right next to him?? Ok, ok, I'll just leave that to YOUR imagination. LOL!!

Anedra, you've got it made!! What more do you want? And like you said, it's already a comfort (and safe, with N's presence) zone, so why think of anything else?

OOD probably wouldn't like me putting a dampener on her grandiose plans of you girls window shopping, lunching and beautifying (hehehe!), but you sound happy enough where you are already. Grass is always greener on the other side until you actually sit on it, kan?

Although for me, I could NEVER envision myself working in the same office as Mr. Daddy. Too distracting. I'd always want to know what he's doing, go kacau2 him, wanna call him, susah2!! I'd never get my work done!!

7:26 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

maya: of course the notti stuff are there. after all, we are only human! but quickies??? hmmm??? not YET! haha! Honey, I'll take you and OOD out anytime, whether I'm here or at the other place! When? Miss you already!

ariel: ini conspiracy dgn OOD ke?? I dont know. Like I said, there are things that money can't buy.

Blabs: Haha! I'll leave the REST to your imagination. We do have to work here too you know! I'm not leaving. It's not time yet.

7:36 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

mrs amd: yay! I have a sista here that understands! *c'mere! gimme a hi-five!*

8:22 PM  
Blogger kaezrin said...

tried working with hubby once..for 6 months we work together in the same office...it feel so good..seriously..but I was offered something that I really cant turn it down..and so here I am....

part ofmit, hubby also leaving for other job too.. :) so differ case la kot..no need to consider lama2 dah jadinya

12:47 AM  
Blogger dee3 said...

this is gonna sound weird.

read thru your blogs, and found the part about you making shepherd's pie... ehm, boleh mintak recipe?
hehehe
serious nak mintak ni :"> *blushes*

that'd be great la...

ps. sorry for digressing from the topic of 'whatever'.... hehe shouldnt ambitious women of the 90's (ooopss... 2005 already, tak tau nak refer cemana) go head-on for a job with bigger pay (and downtown KL too?) hehehe

5:48 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

ailin: I SO know what you mean! But am not there yet! sigghhhs..

kaezrin: well, whatever that makes us happy lah kan? :)

dee3: no problem honey. I got the recipe from Ely's recipe blog. You can find it on Sentraal Station, or go to Elyplace.blogspot and look up her recipe blog on her links! Good luck! It's yummy I tell ya! ;)

5:56 AM  
Blogger Ely said...

its sometimes like matter over $$$ or the other way round. i dont work basically for $$ but for sanity. but the $$$ help pay the bills and cover health insurance for the family. i dont think i would ever go to another company for bigger $$$ cos i love my job here.

and again, if my husband works for the same company (he used to) then lagi purrfect lah like u!

so dena, u can even hear him fart in the office eh? hehehehehe

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pros:
1 no jams
2 lotsa shopping
3 OOD
4 still can see Big N every evening what?

so?

7:39 PM  
Blogger dee3 said...

wah... i've checked out ely's recipe blog...

bestnya!!!!

pergh, the pictures.. meliur-liur-liur melihatnya... dah le kena berpantang makan sbb chix pox ni! so tempted laaaaaa

aisey... pantang makan sangat susah lor.....

thanks for the time taken to blog recipes, ya?

:)

1:09 AM  
Blogger anedra said...

ely: you're right about the sanity part. if i'm thinking the other place gives less headache than this one..I'm wrong. At least now, it's the headache but with people I love working with (and I'm not alking bout N). sometimes money aint everything lah kan! and dhling, as much as I love working with N. I'm definitely not staying for the farts! NOOOOO!!

atenah: I get no-questions-asked time off from work to take baby N for his sessions. priceless. tak sampai hati lah nak pergi after them being so nice like that!

rojakbuah: true...even after thinking of all the pros..I've been telling myself, it has been EIGHT years..and it should be time to move, but but BUT!! Arrrggghhh!

dee3: you gotta thank ely and her cronies for all that! Such wonderful recipes kan? Me, I tumpang pakai the recipes je..they're great arent they? :)

3:56 AM  
Blogger shidah said...

the comfort zone. the greener grass. tak boleh nak bagi opinion. i sendiri tengah confuse :)

9:59 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

shidah:am not thinking anymore..and am at peace with the decision I made. good luck with yours!

12:31 AM  
Blogger Queen Of The House said...

Tak pa Anedra .... bigger & better offers will come one day. You just wait!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Bergen said...

Officer Anedra: Code 4. Please up-date your blog before blog patrol team from Sector C write you one on default mode.

You can send the coat for polish. Do it between now until Christmas and you stand to win a cake-mixer with built-in convex oven.

11:54 PM  
Blogger anedra said...

QOTH: insyaallah, although I probably want to retire early!

Bergen: Alamak!

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home